Emachines W2888 Wont Boot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones

In Runtime
My cousin gave me his Emachines W2888 Desktop to fix because he though the power supply burnt out after a power interruption. When I opened the case and plugged the power supply in, the motherboard green light comes on and thats it and it will stay on until the power cord is unplugged . I tried a old power supply from my aunts old gateway computer and the fan will spin for a split second and stop and the green light will stay on until you unplug the power supply. Do you think I need a new power supply? Or what do you think it is? I ordered a StarTech ATXPOWER250 ATX 250W Power Supply from Newegg. The power supply can be found here:
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Please help me with to get this machine to boot up.

THANKS!

Odds are the PSU took out the mobo. That's what happened to my mother-in-law's comp (also an eMachine).

The good news is that the CPU, RAM, and disks (hard and opticals) should be fine. Snag you a microATX board with that PSU and you've got a new computer.

How hard is it for me to take out the old Mobo and put a new one in? And How much would it cost for that motherboard?

Thanks!

Disconnect all the wires, unscrew about 9 screws, and out it comes.

Mobos cost from very little to a chunk of change. Post what CPU it has and we'll see what we can find that is decent.

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor
(2.80GHz, 400MHz FSB, )
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Monitor: eViewâ„¢ 17f Monitor
(16" Viewable, 0.27mm dot pitch)
Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
Memory: 512MB DDR
Hard Drive: 80GB HDD
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
Media Reader: 8-in-1 digital media manager (Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Micro Drive, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0)
Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics integrated
Sound: AC '97 audio
Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers
Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
Weight: 22.5 lbs (PC only, no packaging)
---
Current Motherboard: Intel Seabreeze (D845GVSR)

THANKS!

Reinstall, The installation on the hard drive will not boot with th e new motherboard... the configuration is too different.

I just took my comp. down to the local computer shop and they told me I need a new mobo. I just took the mobo out right now and I am looking at it and I was looking at the one from newegg but that board if different than the one I have. The One I have had 4 USB ports total and the other mobo has 2.. Would that be fine if I just left the space open with the no USB? Also, does my board have to be a Socket 478 or can I buy other boards?

??? Both boards have 4 rear USB, as well as 2 headers to connect the front USB ports. Are you talking about the I/O shield?

Your CPU is a 478, so you have to use a 478 board.

The boards re different, but should fit fine. Both boards I listed have AGP slots, so they will have fewer PCI slots on them. Both boards have 2 RAM slots, and support up to 2 gig of RAM total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom