Hosting files on your web site

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmiceray

Solid State Member
Hello,

I am planning to create a web site that will offer free software downloads. I plan to put up some free programs such as AVG antivirus, CCleaner, Adware and others. I'm not planning to do anything big though. I am mainly doing this to help out people find some cool free programs.

Questions:
1. Can I host the .exe file on my website and can I legally allow people to download the file from my website? Keep in mind I am not charging for anything. I'm just providing easy access to these programs.

2. I am interested in having a link that has download on it. Once the person clicks on it I want a download box to pop up and I would also like the web page to change at the same time. How is this done?

Basically, I am shooting for a website kind of like download.com but a lot smaller of course.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You would have to read the EULA's of the programs you would host to make sure you are not violating any license agreements.

I would recommend a script for hosting the files. You could use a portal system like Nuke or MKPortal or you could use this

In order to do the download window and link to a new page you would want to do an open window script. I use Dreamweaver and there is a prebuilt script that will allow you to link to a page, but open a new window at the same time. You can also set the size of the new window and disable scroll bars and menus and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom