1 Raptor Or 2 Barracuda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they dont equal each other in performance they are just extremely close. If speed is your priority and you don't mind paying large mounts per gb of space then get a raptor as it will be faster but if you prioritise space and performance get a barracuda 7200.10. Personally I believe the barracuda is the only drive worth having fast, quiet, can run a little hot at times my 500gigs are normally fluctuating around 50 the 320 a little lower and the Seagate drives have a 5 year warranty :D

Matt

Gotta agree with Salty. Unless you like throwing money around, two 'Cudas are the way to go.

You can use the 320's, or go with a couple of smaller drives. Either way, you come out cheaper, with more storage, and with a speed difference you won't be able to see.

you will see a slight increase in speed in the movement of small files like when windows loads or during game load times but generally there isnt a large difference its just whether you need speed or capacity.

you will see a slight increase in speed in the movement of small files like when windows loads or during game load times but generally there isnt a large difference its just whether you need speed or capacity.

what about if i, hypothetically, had Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade on the Raptor, n Windows XP Pro on my other HDD, would it still work? If so, would the OS of Vista run better n faster on a 10,000 rpm then on a 7200 rpm HDD?

or you could just raid those barracudas and blow the raptor out of the water

or not
WD1500AD Raptor X-Tends Performance Lead | Tom's Hardware

"The Raptor-X's performance is even good enough to beat a RAID 0 array consisting of two modern 7,200 RPM drives, except in terms of pure throughput, of course. In addition, it is nicer having only one drive to install, and the data safety of a single drive is better anyway. Speaking of safety, we should refer to the five year warranty, which should give you a good feeling."

Its great if you have the money. It's also the sexiest HD ever.

A single Raptor will edge a RAID0, but not by enough that you could tell. Besides, I already said that...
with a speed difference you won't be able to see.

.did you notice that the raid 0 drives only had 8mb of cache and were equivilent to barracuda 7200.8, the hd he wants to buy has 16mb of cache so it may be diff sotory. what if i raid three 7200.10 drives that would then kik a raptors arse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom