External HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about getting an external HD soon and I had a few questions:
1. Will the storage capacity affect the response time in any way? (I've heard something about this, but want to make sure)
2. Would it be a bad idea to install games on the external? (I'm getting this for my Lappie, so it won't be connected all the time)
3. Is there really a big difference between using Firewire or USB 2.0?
Thanks

1. The storage capacity shouldnt greatly affect the response time, it depends on the hardrive RPM and the size of the cache.
2. I have never tried a game on an external hardrive but dont see why it wouldnt work.
3. There can be a big difference between Firewire and USB 2.0, you have to check which one has a faster transfer rate, I think it is firewire but not sure.

Hope that covers it.

These are the transfer rates for Firewire and USB 2.0

Firewire 100 Mbit/s 200Mbit/s 400Mbit/s supported.

USB 1.5 Mbit/s 12Mbit/s 480Mbit/s supported.

The size of the hard drive can affect the response time. Try and get a midrange one, not too small but not too big.

Medium sized hard drives are usually the most stable.

I wouldn't install games on the external because of the slow transfer rate compared to the system bus on the mobo. you will notice the game will lag a lot especially on nicer games.

she posted the transfer speeds for usb 1.1, he is looking at 2.0, it is "theoretically" faster than firewire, but realistic speeds, firewire has seemed to be faster

To backup some important files in the external hardisk is a good option for those using laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom