Rebuilding this rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxXxy

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I recently just bought a computer from a crack head (literally, and yes, I didn't know this before). I gave him allot of money to get my computer. Unfortunately, none of the parts are what they're supposed to be except for the case and monitors. Back to the point of this post, can you guys give me some advice on these parts?

Motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail

Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Video Card - Newegg.com - EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Hard Drive(s) - Newegg.com - Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM x2

Sound Card - Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Power Supply - Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

RAM - Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The power supply would be replacing a 530w one, is a 700w necessary? Also, here's my current motherboard - Newegg.com - ASUS Commando LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Alright, sorry for the massive post. Thanks in advance - Max.

Get this ram instead:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
highly recommended...awesome for overclocking.

And 700W is too much power for your rig.
Look at the Corsair 620W. or OCZ GameXStream 600W.

The motherboard is unnecessary. There are other motherboards that are cheaper and just as good. Like the MSI P6N Platinum. But it's your choice.

And you can get more bang for your buck, if you just get two Seagate 320GB 7200.10 rpm drives, and RAID 0 them. It will yield about the same performance as a raptor, but much more space for the money. I see you're RAIDing two raptors. Again your choice.

Yes peaple on this site push gskill ram. I went with the corsair. If money is tight then the gskill is the way to go. If not then I would go with the corsair.
I have 4 gigs of corsair and its great. Both gskill and corsair are good ram and both will do the same thing. I think it more comes down to choice then which ones oc's better.

As for the psu if your going to run sli some day your going to want to have a 750. If not then about a 600-650 will do just fine. Now there is alot of peaple that wont agree with that but every reveiw of sli or crossfire recomned that wattage even ati and nvidia say that. Yes the system will run at a lower wattage but your pushing the psu and not propelry powering your rig.

Montdj....if you don't have at least XMS2 that is stock DDR2-1000 they don't have D9's in them. Which the G.skill HZ's for a lot less have. This is why it is stressed becuase G.skill HZ's are all you need really.

What is this D9? I've heard it several times, when talking about memory. I'm assuming it's really good.

D9's are the chips used in memory. Memory companies such as Corsair and G.skill don't produce their own memory chips and they order them from a manufacturer that does.

D9's are Micron's chips. There are 2 variations and the chips they produce are known to be the best and very very fast always. G.skill's standard modules use PROMOS chips which CAN be fast but you have to bin the bad ones and put the good ones in your memory. Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 and below uses PROMOS but they aren't HIGHLY binned like G.skill's sticks so this is why we stress them. PROMOS are not only cheaper but easy to get. Micron can only supply so many D9 chips so they dont flood the market with them.

Yes I have xms2 pc-8500. Still corsair is good mem and lets face it 85% of peaple dont oc. So I still say gskill and corsair are good mem. And I dont see a performace gain with one over the other. Now this is just my opinion take it or leave it. I just happen to get corsair for this build. I buy what my distributor has on sale plus they dont carry gskill. But as of today Im a ocz reseller so maybe I will try the reaper sereis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom