Checking to see if HD is still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicarius

Baseband Member
I need to check and see if an HD I pulled from an Emachine's desktop (That's been fried) is still working, because I NEED to get some stuff off there, (Like, the Last Will And Testament of my deceased uncle). My questions are: If I put it into a much less powerful computer, will something bad happen? I.E. explosions, implosions, fragments of metal into face, etc, etc. I worry, because from what very little I know of BIOS, doesn't it mean that it'll try to run the specs for the EMachine's desktop? My second question is: In the event nothing explodes, how do I tell the HD's working? Because it won't boot anything I'm sure, since the specs are so different.

Thanks in advance guys

Take the hd out, set it as slave, and install it in your other computer. I dun think u should worry about shards of metal in face type thing happening tho. :)
Once its in the new computer, u can access it for your uncle's will (lol, hope he left u sumthing lyke a new hd). If the hd is not recognized on the new computer (and ur running xp), right click on the mycompuer icon and select manage, and go to disk management. Check that the drive is "healthy" or "online".

and you may want to scan it before you actually star accessing it...never know if a virus could get ya :D

i personally use spinrite it detects and fixes some hd's it came on hirens boot cd you can get it of torrentz or hirens website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom