Constant Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GageMW

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
long time no post.

I have a problem with a 3 year old HP downstairs, whenever I turn it on, be it safe mode or normal, it gets to the blue windows login screen, starts loading data to show the logins, and then gives a BSOD and restarts.
If I remember correctly the error was paging error in a non paged area; or something similar.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Gage

EDIT: the specific error is: "Page fault in non paged area."

Paging fault is coming from your HD. What paging is, is like your system using your HD as RAM , so your saying it gives you BSOD on safe mode and on normal boot?

I know what the page file is. :)
Just never encountered this before,
but yea, every single way of starting windows that involves going past the login screen gives BSOD (including last know working config, etc...)
I also tried with different single sticks of ram and diff video card and neither worked.
From what I read this means it's either got to do with the HDD or the L2 cache.
Any ideas on how to fix it? I don't know where to even start since I can't load Windows.

go onto the bios and check that your ram voltage is at the right volrtage (usually 1.8v or 2.5) that solved a lot of my problems

nope.
Also I wouldn't recommend taping fans to anything, especially inside your computer on a hot graphics card. =/

taping fans to graphics cards does work although its not recommended, i did it and i could get really good overclocking results

uh, lol. :p
anyway, I think I narrowed down the problem.
When I run in safe mode the computer says hit Esc to not load SPTD.sys,
so I did, but then I get a different BSOD saying that SPTD.sys has accidentally marked a nonpaging area as paging.
So how do I fix/delete sptd.sys?
I tried running chkdsk /r hoping it might help and it hung at ~%50
would running chkdsk /f make a difference?
As far as I can see, the only place I can do anything is the recovery console as I don't seem able to boot into any other form of windows.

Ok, I went into recovery console and renamed sptd.sys.
All that did was remove the option to not load it.
still getting "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area"
the specific code is
0xE20D6000
0x00000001
0x80618EA0
0x00000001
Is there any way to repair/reinstall windows without wiping the rest of the drive?

quick question have you been messing around with Deamon tools ? :)

the only thing i can think of now is slaving the HD to another computer and deleting any registry entries for SPTD.sys and then reinstall the SPTD.sys again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom