Volts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffee4me

Baseband Member
This is a comment that I saw in another thread.

********i use corsair xms2 ddr2-800 C4 version.
it boots fine with the 1.85 volts supplied by the mobo stock, although you should raise it to 1.9 if using 5-5-5-18 timings or to 2.1+ if using 4-4-4-12.
it may be picky with RAM that doesnt post at less than 2.1v. as a rule of thimb, most people who post reviews at newegg dont know sh*t. they're Ram doesnt post at 4-4-4-12 because they havent upped the voltage, which is clearly stated on the corsair website. mostly dumbness.*********

A couple of years ago, I've built a few computers. However, the last years I've been out of the loup a little bit. I'm trying to pick everything back up again and do some research for another system that I would like to build.
What confuses me, is this Volts tweaking....

Can somebody explain what the deal is with the RAM/Volts thing ?
And what is "timings" ?

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, but the Wikipedia read is like reading Chinese to me.....

If I get this mobo :
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

This Processor :

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Graphics card :

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

What RAM memory can you recommend, that does not require too much hassle of timings and tweaks ?
I don't overclock and don't play games. Just needed for basic computer work, Internet surfing. Would use Windows XP. Thanks

If I get this mobo :
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

This Processor :

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Orleans 2.4GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Graphics card :

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

What RAM memory can you recommend, that does not require too much hassle of timings and tweaks ?
I don't overclock and don't play games. Just needed for basic computer work, Internet surfing. Would use Windows XP. Thanks

ANYBODY that knows what kind of RAM memory I need for this system ???

Why do you need a graphics card such as the 7600GT, if you don't do gaming?

Anyway, this ram will do fine:
Newegg.com - Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail

And you can get this motherboard instead, because it has onboard video, so you don't need a graphics card:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

And save money by going with this processor instead, because you don't need that fast of a processor, to do minor applications and, go on the internet with:
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Orleans 1.8GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

I'm not so interested in onboard video...
Occasionally I play COD1 and 2. These can be played with lower end video cards. Was thinking of buying this more costly graphic card for my new system, just to be ready for COD 3, when it ever comes out on PC....

Does " Dual Channel Supported " mean I can/have to put 2 RAM sticks in the motherboard ?

In order to run dual channel, you have to install the RAM in pairs, of the same model, speed, and timings.

In order to run dual channel, you have to install the RAM in pairs, of the same model, speed, and timings.

The RAM slots on the Biostar board are colored Green(2 slots) and the other 2 are colored orange.
When running Dual Channel, do you put the RAM in the same colored slots (both in orange....or both in green)?

Thank you

The motherboard manual will tell you which slots, in order to run the ram in dual channel mode. Usually it's the same colored slots, but I'd check the manual to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom