A couple of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicidegirl

Beta member
I was going to start looking for a laptop for both me and my mother, but I'm not really sure where to start. I know how to build PC's (kind of), but we both want laptops. I'm not looking for an awesome laptop, just one that will get us by.

I've asked around but no one seems to really know. So my question is, is there a quality difference in brand names? I've heard that Toshiba and Dell were pretty good (I've also heard Dell sucks). But we can only spend around $600-$700 per laptop, so I know that will make a difference too. We aren't going to do a whole lot with it, I'm going to only be using it for school papers, surfing the net, and uploading pics/videos to a website. My mom will probably only check email with hers. So anyone had any good/bad experiences with these name brands, or that can suggest a decent laptop?

Pretty much any laptop, will do what you and your mother intend to do. The brand that comes to mind for laptops, is Toshiba. I just hear they're very good quality laptops.

many big names CAN be good...
Dell for example started good, then stumbled a bit, and I think they are back on the ball.
Tohsiba seems to be always good.
Fujitsu, Asus....etc.

Give Gateway a look, because they are trying to make a comeback, their prices seem to be very competitive.

You can look to buy laptops that are straight $600-700...or ones that rebate you down to that price. If you can put up with it and the slight possibility of not getting that rebate ;). Try to not get a celeron, do try for the basic core solo. I think you and your mom could find some for that price range. Of course, if your mom will only be doing email...a celeron would be ok ;)

Thanks for your replies. I will look at Gateway also. I definitely don't want a celeron, because I do play some games, Sims 2 and F.E.A.R mostly, but because my main computer sucks, I usually turn the settings to almost lowest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom