Computer stopped working after moving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seetherage

Solid State Member
Hey guys, this is the deal, ive had this computer built by me for about 2 months
it was working perfectly, its a AMD Atlhon xp2 +4400
512 mb, a good working video card and thats about it..
(its "good working video card" because i tested it in another computer)
anyways, today i was just surfing the web and doing school work, and this cable was stuck under my computer, so what i basiclly did, was tilt the computer over to remove the cable, and thats right when it shutdown.

Normal front view and after as tilted

I tried turnig the computer back on and again the same thing, but this time it wasnt titlted, so i opend the case up and looked everything in detail and the only thing i could find was a peeled off sticker that stays on a fan (the one that tells u the voltage psi etc...), and it was on top of the motherboard, i took it off just in case, and tried turning on again, this time it didnt show anything on the screen (no video), no beeps no nothing, and from there on is where im stuck, i couldnt find anything that indicates what could have gotten wrong, besides the southbridge chipset fan being extremlly hot i have no clue what could've happen, can anyone please help me?

btw, the memory and the CPU arent in operation im sure, because the memory and the heatsink arent even warm after i turn it off.
and the fans do turn btw =)
:(

Thank You!

Does your power supply do anything at all when you turn the computer on? Usually the only ways to tell is if you have a light inside or checking the fan.

If no activity happens anywhere in the systems, you've got a power issue. Make sure the voltage didn't somehow get adjusted when you tilted, and the power chord is good.

Yea, the light on the mobo is on, and the fans spin, harddrive is on, the cdrom starts reading if theres a cd in it.
is there a chance, one of those wires that goes into the mother board
have moved and cause it to do that?

illustration below

Or
____
|o|o|
|o|o|
-----

Have you made sure that the monitor cable plugged into the back computer?

Does the fan on the CPU heatsink spin?

Yes, check the 20+4 pin cables to the motherboard too

Try Taking the sticks of ram out of the mobo and putting them back in. that has solved issues in the past for me

i had a similar situation with my old Sony vaio, i had my keyboard cable under the system so i yanked it and my system shutoff hard. Didn't want to POST or anything after 2 days of work on it i realized that one of my PCI cards were bumped and unseated , so i just reseated it to a different slot and and it works normal.

If you built it yourself about two months ago, there is always the possibility that a random screw got lodged into a nitch of your case at one point during assembly, and when you moved it just right it popped out, got caught under your mobo, and caused a short. You could try to remove the mobo and see...

Hey guys, i've remounted the whole computer in another case, piece by piece just to make sure if there wasnt any thing loose, and i came up with nothing, but Hey i've been doing some testing myself and here are the things i noticed and "think".

- The Video card, memory, and cpu are working properly
- Im stuck in which one i should check, MOBO or PSU
- I noticed that if i "try" booting up with the CPU attached, even tho it dosnt actually boot, you can hear the hardrive as if it was starting to load, but it stops shortly after, but if i try to boot again but without the CPU attached, it does no such thing, so maybe it has something to do with chipset or something im lost =(

Maybe this tips will help u help me :'(

Thanks, i await your response!

The cheapest thing to do, especially if you have other computers around, is to swap out the PSU. If you've got an extra hard drive layout around, try popping that in and checking. With the symptoms you've mentioned, I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to check.

If both of those fail, try the mobo.

It does get frustrating when stuff like this happens. I hope you get it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom