Input wanted before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLedet

In Runtime
I've been searching and searching and expanding my budget more and more to put this rig together. I've asked and received advice and as far as I can tell, all of my decisions are good decisions for a first build.

I am into 3D modeling, Web design, graphic design, and some video editing here and there...anything Multimedia related...no gaming.

OK...On to the goods

The Case and Power supply are together:
Newegg.com - Antec PERFORMANCE TX TX1050B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply - Retail

The motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5B Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The Processor:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

The Ram:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The video card:
Newegg.com - PNY VCQFX560-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX560 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

The Hard drive:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

The Monitors (x2):
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 941BW Black 19" 4 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1 - Retail

Other crap:
Windows XP Pro, Acronis True Image 10, cheapo keyboard and mouse

Total:
I'm looking at $1,545.90 before shipping and all that other good stuff.

Your opinion on this is very much appreciated. I don't have any intention on overclocking *yet*. Will I be OK with the stock heatsink on the processor?

All of the parts look good except for the ram. Value select is pretty expensive for the actual performance. I would suggest getting DDR2-800 memory as it's faster for not much more and more full proof.

Get this G.skill as it is very good ram for the price.

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

The P5B Deluxe is a good board but I recommend the P5B-E as it's pretty much the same thing for 30 bucks less. Still both are good boards and just pick one.

Thank you for those suggestions. I've used the ram, as you've suggested.

The only major difference I see between the 2 motherboards is the Deluxe has 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 1 PCI Express x1 slot, and 3 PCI slots.

The P5B-E has only 1 PCI Express x 16 slot, 3 PCI Express x1 slots, and 3 PCI slots.

I know I need at least one PCI Express x16 for the video card, but what else could I use an additional PCI Express x 16 slot for? Could I use 2 different video cards on those two slots for the dual monitor set up? Right now I only need one because the video card has dual output.

Also, what is PCI Express x1 used for? The one you suggested has 3.

The second PCIe x16 slot, would be used for a second graphic card for SLI configuration. You can't use two different video cards. They have to be the same model.

Two PCI Ex16 slots are used for SLi however the P5B Deluxe isn't SLI compatible only Crossfire. PCI Ex1 are just used for a few things really. I would be surprised if you ever even used one on either board.

EDIT: DON'T use a PSU the case gives you. Even if Antec is a pretty good brand never trust case PSU's, get a cheaper and better case W/O one such as the Centurion 5 and then get a good 500w PSU such as an Xclio or FSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom