Want to make a home data storage unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsallbefriends

Beta member
Hey everyone, new here, so...please...be gentle. I am a pack rat in every sense of the word, especially when it comes to data storage. I was considering building a pc specifically to store data in. Doesn't have to be too fancy, just good enough to run XP, and preferably use a cpu that isn't known to overheat, and the drives will probably be 5600 rpms to maintain low heat and longevity.

Below is what components I'm looking for, basically just wanted opinions or suggestions on good brand/models of the below:

case, small but room for fans, about 3 bays (one for temp gauge)
hard drives, preferably ones at 5600 rpm to stay slow and keep cool
a cool running chip, with good mobo, but cheap (remember, this is just for storage)
good brand of fans that run cool yet quiet
cheap temperature guage to go on front of case
how much ram should i need?
power supply?
removable hard drive trays?

Basically i want something cheap, yet runs cool and will allow me to easily remove and put new hard drives in on the fly. I wanted to use a pc-type setup because I figured it would allow the best method of keeping the drives cool, instead or putting hard drives in tiny usb enclosures that trap all the heat, and the ones with the tiny fans really dont do too good either.

Thanks for looking everyone.

I you want to go the PC route, look at Socket 754 CPU's..... If you DO go the PC route, then don't bother wasting money on a temperature gauge, unless you plan on running that CPU at near 100%...

What I would recommend though, is the DLink DNS-323. I currently have one on my network (as listed in sig), and it is wonderful. It uses SATA hard drives (7200 rpm), but in the config, you can choose to 'spin-down' the drives after a set period of in-activity. It does RAID 0,1, 0+1, or JBOD. Config is easy & straightforward. I have had mine running 24x7 since the beginning of January without any problems.
2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure - DNS-323 by D-Link

i'm just worrying about the drives getting cooked in a small enclosed space, without a fan, or in the case of some "better" enclosures, an inadequate fan. i dont want to lose years of data ive collected to be destroyed by a melted hdd.

With the enclosure I use, the drives are inactive about 99% of the time, so they aren't spinning, and there is relativly no heat, or so little that the small fan at the back of the unit takes care of it with no problem.

Based upon your posts, it seems that you are looking for RAID1 or RAID5. Raid 1 you only need 2 drives, Raid5 you need at least 4 I believe....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom