PhysX Card vs 8800GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydzy

In Runtime
Howdy all,

So I went to a comp shop today, just to ask about a PhysX card for my computer, and I mentioned earlier about something else that I had an 8800GTX. Well the guy I was talking to nearly pooed himself right there on the spot at the thought of me getting a PhysX card.

He basically said that they were a piece of crap, and the 8800GTX's built in Physics unit "creamed" the PhysX one. Wondering if this is true? Well, more to the point, wondering if I am going to be able to run Cell Factor on my 8800GTX, rofl, I love that game, it looks so good.

If you need to know specs:
Intel E6600 2.4GHZ w/ 1066mhz FSB 4mb L2Cache
Asus P5B Motherboard
2GB A-Data DDR2 6400 Ram @ 800Mhz
XFX 8800GTX 768MB GPU
320GB SATA HDD w/ 16mb Cache
Audigy 4 Sound Card
Thermaltake 850W ToughPower PSU
Thousands of Fans in a 80kg solid Lead Case, GG anyone?

Thanks

Sydz

The 8800GTX can run any game at max settings. And the guy is telling the truth. The 8800GTX already has physics built into it. So theres absolutely no need for a PhysX card.

^ Exactly....along with 5-10 more flips and turns, on each splinter or piece of debris, that flies around, after an explosion.

I have heard that the 8800GTX's in DX10 will have no need for a physics card anymore. They were always just a hype anyway and didn't help that much anyway. DEFINITELY not worth the cash.

The PhysX cards has to be one of the biggest flops in computer history.

what about the killer NIC? lol

That is so bogus.... I tried to get SmallNetBuilder (formerly Tom'sHardware-Networking) to do a review on it to show that is a waste of money, and they never reviewed it.... probably never got a card for review from the manufacturer.

If priced cheaper, and the software for the PhysX card was solid, as well as supporting applications, it wouldn't be bad for those on a budget. However, it is priced too high, and another GPU can go above and beyond what the PhysX card is capable of, not to mention that it was released without any software support at all.... There might be SOME support now, but I would be willing to bet that it is still minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom