Building My First Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otacon

Solid State Member
Hey I decided to build my first pc, and for the last 4 days I've been doing some research and trying to build the best gaming pc I could under the price of $1500. I'll be making overviews on each item and why I bought them so please help me with your input, thx!

Edit: Replaced my old motherboard with Sora's below, Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $160

Processor: Ninja edit! Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Just wanted Intel, can't wait for the price cuts, but not waiting out till 2nd half of 2007, I think this would work fine.

Graphics Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SUPERCLOCKED HDCP Video Card - Retail Retail $380 with rebates
Not spending the money on a GTX, love the video card, but in the future (not right when I get the computer) I'll be looking to overclock, mainly the cpu but for the videocard can I overclock the already "super-clocked" video card?

RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail $135
For the RAM, if I'm looking to overclock in the future, would this be fine? I tried to find a good 2x1gb ram on sale and this is what I came up with.

Hard drive: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM $85, Looking for SATA harddrive, later on I might buy to of these to go Raid0 but this should work good. Question: 10k rpm drives worth it later on?

Power Supply: Newegg.com - HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V - Retail $90
Taken from Sora, this should be more then enough for me right now? Only 1 videocard and not overclocking, but will this take overclocking ability?

Monitor: Newegg.com - Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1 - Retail $150
I didn't care about the monitor at all, I was just going to buy a nice 22" widescreen in about 3-6 months.

Dvd-rw and w/e else drive: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM $38
I really only need one right?

Keyboard and mouse combo: Newegg.com - Microsoft S82-00032S Black 105 Normal Keys 16 Function Keys USB + PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - OEM $26
I'll buy a new 50$ mouse and 50$ keyboard later in the summer, I've been gaming on sh*t keyboard and mouse for a long long time.

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $50
Wanted an ATX case with usb, mic, speaker front ports that already came with 2 fans

Wireless Adapter: Newegg.com - TRENDnet TEW-443PI IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI 2.2 Bus Master Wireless Adapter up to 108Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP (Hex or ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK - Retail $25
This is for my wireless connection from my room to my office downstairs, not vary far, is this good enough so I don't get crap lag or random disconnects?

I have Arctic Silver 5, and thats pretty much it.

Note: In the future I'm looking for upgrade ability and looking to overclock once I set up a nice cooling system. And about my cooling system, will the thermal paste and the 2 fans that come with the case be enough? I'm not an expert on cooling at all.

There's my pc, $1433 with rebates and not included shipping, which should be just under $1500.

The PC itself looks good, however, wireless internet will almost always produce lag. It's just not as good as a wire.

I suggest you drop the e6700 and go for the e6600 after the price cuts, because the e6600 can easily overclock past the e6700.

10K RPM hard drives are not worth it. Just RAID 0 two Seagate 7200.10 rpm hard drives. It will be the same performance as a 10k rpm hard drive, for less money, and a lot more space.

Also I suggest this motherboard:
Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
It's cheaper and just as good in performance as that 680i.

Along with the AS5 and the fans from the case, invest in aftermarket cooling for the CPU, in the future when you overclock.

Well If you REALLY want a 680i even after reading I guess so. The only difference the 680i is that it has one less PCI and one more PCI Express x1 slot. The MSI P6N 650I PLATINUM for 160 is quad-core capable.

Newegg.com - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Also with an 8800GTS why not just get a P5B-E instead? SLI is not worth it anyhow.

Understand that even after the price cuts the best bang for your buck CPU will be the E6420 and the E6600 still. Both will have their 4MB cache and hit very overclocks. The 6700's x10 multi won't allow you to achieve a high FSB thus actually not being as fast when the E6600 and it are overclocked to their max.

The standard 8800GTS and the the SUPERCLOCKED version will max out out around the exact same when you overclock yourself. Since you are going to do this I sugest you get the standard.

Everything else looks good however you'r going to want a CPU cooler.

I replaced my mobo and the processor, I'll look into the CPU cooler. I think the RAM will be fine and I'll buy a new monitor later, thx for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom