Making a PC for Over Clocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOGA

Daemon Poster
Hey everyone!

Heres the story: I've got a couple of extra parts lying around from a old PC.

I haven't really tried OCing before except on a small scale.

I want to use the old parts and get new peaces to make a pc to OC with.

What would be the best set of hardware to OC with. AMD or Intel? what MOBO? other stuff like that

Current parts.

VGA - 7800gt with fatality cooler
RAM - 4 512mb ddr 184 pin
PSU - enermax 520watt

thanks, noga

yea i was thinking that but i heard from here that Intel are easier to OC and have more potential.

"AMD fans will be devastated to hear that it is Intel which have the highest overclockability, their pipelines and architecture is a lot larger and is able to handle insane frequencies - but AMD are better for Doom 3" (Kangaroo first post).

Also want to stay with last gen stuff because its cheaper and more is know about how to OC with them/ what boards are best to OC with.

thats why i say use s939.
the only intels that outperform amd are c2d, because the older intel cpus are stomped by amd's x2 s939 cpus.
lol that quote sounds like an intel fanboy statement...kinda like the amd fanboys now (me included) that rationalize the competition being faster.
for real, man...that post was from 2004, and not quite the case now. if you want to use your ddr ram, you will want to get an amd s939 rig. period. if you want a faster intel c2d, you will have to upgrade your ram to ddr2.
so, really, i am trying to tell you that ddr is fine. if you want to overclock using it, get an amd x2 939 cpu and mobo, and get to it.

its just im using these parts for a mod right and i want to use the Abit fata1ty mobo because i already have 2 fatal1ty coolers for cpu and VGA

i want to make it look nice with a red theme

I don't now if i want to go through with this because I might just want to wait until I upgrade my computer next winter or so to the new generation of DirectX 10 cards and maybe an AMD quad core!

Then just use my current PC to OC with later.

meh, im a sucker for pretty mobos. that ones nice but no cigar

any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom