Your suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Athlon X2's they all max out at around the same speed. Which is around 3.0ghz.

Even the X2 6000 which is stock 3.0ghz and top of the line will only OC to about 3.3ghz. While the X2 3600 has the potential of OC'ing to 3.0ghz. On average your guaranteed at least 2.7-2.8 for a $65 chip with the $10 Alpine64 on it.

I would get the G.skill NR model as I have them and they rock.

what i listed originally, would that get me a high overclock?

and if what you say is true about most amds ocing to about 3.0, would it be wise to get a X2 3800+ and ocing to a high overclock?

and I have an aftermarket cooler. the typhoon to be more specific. around 40.00$ on newegg. Orange.

I also have some zaltec thermal grease.

The X2 3600 is a Brisbane meaning it was built on 65nm fabrication. The Brisbanes will OC better than the Windsor models which are 90nm.

Since you have a Big typhoon which should work on an Athlon X2, get the OEM version of the X2 3600 for 65 bucks and then the Biostar Tforce550 motherboard for 80 bucks. That should let you hit at LEAST 2.8 and if you get a good chip 3.0+.

any other insights or tips before buying? I repost much later about having help with OCing my computer.

I read that thread on voltmodding.
Would it be wise to voltmod my 7950gt ko?

I'm kind of scared to do it.
I've already replaced my 7950gt ko on Newegg. Because my Temps reached 90 Celsius. Without Ocing

I had to turn down the core clock to 400mhz to get it to idle 60 celsius.

I'll make 100 posts later about my rig and overclocking.
The things I really want to know are:

in comparision. getting a X2 4600 (patriot extreme performance 2 gig + Gigabyte mobo)vs a X2 3600 brisbane (G skill NQs 2 GIG + TFORCE 550)

the first package (4600 + patriot, etc.) = $376.97
the second package = $279.98
Almost 100$ less!

If I happen to successful (somehow) pull a 2.8 - 3.0 ghz OC on my cpu (brisbane)
Wouldn't that give me the better bang for my buck, and a faster speed?

If this is true, its a no-brainer that I should get the following list (listed above)

If anyone has anymore insight about additions to my new upgrade. Please don't hesistate. I plan on purchasing on sunday night.

Thanks. I'll return to this thread frequently.

p.s If I already returned my card. will newegg replace another one if this one gets ruined by voltmodding?

I don't think so, doesn't voltmodding void the warranty or something. That's the downside...it's kinda risky.

Get the X2 3600+, G. Skill NQs, and TForce 550. Save money, and get close to same overclock as the X2 4600+.

alright well, what kind of an overclock would I be looking at when I (if I) volt mod my 7950?

Anyone have any Idea?
Anything will help
I also have after market VGA cooler

if it seams everyone overclocks the x2 3600/3800 to about 2.8-3.0Ghz, is it possible just to change the settings straight off and hope for it to work fine? Just because what Im dreading with overclocking is the the time it takes to change a setting try it then up it a bit etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom