Your suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsvalesen

Daemon Poster
I don't think my system could run as fast as it should. and I have a feeling I'm bottlenecking. here are my specs/

2.5 Gigs of ValueRam (1 gig stick, and 3 512 sticks)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
EVGA 7950GT KO 512 mb
ASRock 939Dual

Any suggestions?
I am willing to switch out my mobo for an Intel processor, but only if you guys truly believe im bottle necking.
I don't want my 300.00 on my videocard goto waste because im bottle necking. thanks.

alright, and one final question..

would
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM

be a big upgrade to my current cpu ?

Meaning Dual Core vs. Single core, is it worth it?

And I am seeing a bunch of AMD X2 3800+ varing to X2 4400+
the frequency of the 3800+ is roughly 1.9, while the 4400+ is 2.4 ghz

would it be hard to overclock a 3800+ to a 3.4 ghz? and expect a large difference? Or should I just put down the extra 10 dollars and get the 4400?

Or should I go Cheap AM2 with a new mobo?

Recommend any DDr2 ram ?

You already have a pretty solid CPU as it is. Aside from Opterons (which are good) you aren't going to find much for Socket 939 Dual Core CPUs.

If you were to build a new computer, you would be able to keep everything except the CPU, motherboard and RAM. So it really depends on A) How badly you want faster/better and B) How much money you have to put into a computer.

If it were me, I would just leave your computer the way it is for a while.

well thing is that my little brother want my computer parts..
I'm going to give him my cpu, mobo, ram.
and was wondering if I would get a boost from what I have now by going dual core.

I'm a gaming enthusiast.
as I put 300$ on my videocard alone.

If you want to overclock, go for b1gapl's suggestion. Except you don't need to spend $160 on the RAM. Get the NQ's or NR's which will be more then enough to max out the overclock. If not, go for your build except use the TForce 550 mobo, and the G.Skill NQ's.

NQ: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
NR: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Not necessarily...it's just to save you money, and you can overclock past the X2 4600+. And also with the right stuff, like the RAM and motherboard, you can get a high overclock. You might want to invest in aftermarket cooling for the CPU though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom