High Performance on budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is micro ATX though meaning it has a smaller form factor take in mind. The Centurion 5 isn't a huge case though anyway.

The Cooler Master case says it's motherboard compatibility with only ATX form factor.

edit: Nevermind...I checked their site, and it says Micro ATX as well.

For 500 bucks and no need for a powerful card you can build a very fast multi-tasking desktop/music PC.

Do you want to overclock? It is completely safe nowadays really and you will get some huge overclocks and really get your money's worth. If you don't overclock then I suggest:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Total comes to $490 bucks and that thing will chew up any kind of desktop tasks you can throw at it. The Onboard video is plenty enough to watch movies if you ever had to as well.

So I FINALLY ordered all the parts! Took me long enough.

I actually ordered everything but the processor awhile back but just ordered the processor now.

So in building this...is it pretty straightforward? I'm going to do my research but I figured I'd ask in here too since this thread is specific to the exact parts I have. Is there anything I should know about the thermal paste? That seems to be the only "scary" part about building because I don't want to apply too much or too little.

Oh and by the way, b1gapl, I love your Systematic Chaos background image thing. So refreshing to see a DT fan around!

Thanks again everyone,

Tim

lol..thanks...it's nice to see another DT fan, like you..I only know of two others, around here.

Well as for the building, yes...it is pretty straight forward. If you're having a problem, you know theres always tech forums to depend on.

For the thermal paste, just put a dot, the size of a grain of rice, in the middle of the processor. Then just let the heatsink's weight spread it, while you're seating it.

wow...I just realized, this is an almost 4 month old thread you revived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom