Question for Upgrading XPS 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medium Lammy

Solid State Member
Hey everyone. This is my first post so please bare with me as I'm knew here :)

I am currently in the process of upgrading my XPS 400. I just ordered a 8800 GeForce overstocked 320mb graphics card, which at first I didn't know if I would need to upgrade my power supply unit, but from reading some forums, I found out I wouldn't need to. So I'm looking forward to having the weekend to seeing the advantages of that.

I currently have 1 gig memory on my system, which I'm looking to upgrade that this coming week. I was just wondering with that, should I go ahead and get 2 gigs, 3 gigs or max the system out with 4 gigs? I run XP Professional which can handle up to 4 gigs of memory. As of right now, I can't decide whether to go with just the one gig upgrade or go with the 2 gig (total of 3 gig). Will there big a big noticeable difference between 2 and 3 gig?

I might add that my primary purpose on this system is video editing and my second purpose is gaming.

I appreciate the help!

Since you're video editing, the extra ram will help alot. For gaming you would only need 2gb of ram. So I guess 4gb of ram will suite you. It looks like you're cutting it close, with that PSU, to power your system. Are you sure it has enough amps?

I was worried about this not being enough power as well.

However, after reviewing Dells forums as well as reading reviews on (newegg, which specifically someone with a 400 said it works great) I decided to go with it. Apparently Dell underrates their PSU's so they can actually handle more then what they say they can.

The biggest problem I've read with folks who have this card with the 400 is the fact people have a hard time fitting it into their system since it takes up two levels.

I'm just excited to get this card and then get the ram so I can be on my way.

Any other advise on upgrades?

Highly doubt that you would really be able to...an 8800 card CAN run on one but thats barebone...the P4's take more watts than a C2D as well.

Honestly I wouldn't trust a system like that top a low-watt Dell PSU.

Dell uses proprietary PSU's (weird shapes) on average so I have no clue what would just fit in your case.

You suppose if I went to say a Best Buy they would be able to tell me what PSU would fit my system?

Possibly, however the PSU may be quite a lot of money if it's one that was designed to just fit dells. XPS's may be a little different from the standard Dimensions as well but probably not.

lol, best buy. Good luck getting help for something like that from them. "uuh ya dude, ummmmhhh sure. How about that one??" Thats about all I was able to get out of them with my questions.

I wouldn't trust that power supply with a 8800gts.

If the current PSU won't be able to handle it....can any damage be done to the rest of the computer of the video card? Or will it just not work?

I read on the dell board from other users who said that this card does work and I also read, I believe on the newegg.com reviews that this card worked great with the XPS 400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom