First Rig: Suggestions and Tips Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually...the CPU is starting to matter more now on games with tons of figures. Supreme Commander the CPU plays a huge performance compared to a lot of games. The X2 6000 actually does better than the E6600 at stock but like I said if you overclock the E6600 does a lot better.

It's really your decision as well since the new AMD's are coming out...fairly soon we all hope. It is also hard to know exactly what the AMD's will be at after the price cut as well. It's a very tough decision right now as AMD's are so cheap.

I would actually get a low of the line X2 to hold you over for the K10's as SLI GTX's will take out any kind of game even with a slower CPU anyway. OR go all out and OC an E6600.

Wow, I didn't expect all of these posts so soon. Honestly, I don't want to overclock anything this time around. My dad is funding this endeavor and it's only once in a blue-moon that I get a new computer (I'm on a Pentium 3 1.65 ghz right now). Besides, doesn't overclocking cause system instability? About the graphics card: I don't think I can fit 2 8800GT's in my case. It physically occupies two PCI express x16 slots and you need to open one below that for proper cooling. About keyboards/monitors/speakers: I am just worrying about the main components right now; I'm gonna blow the rest of my money on this stuff afterything else is taken care of. I would a 24' monitor (OMGZ BIG), but I can't find a good deal on one. BTW: I'm still looking for a psu.

Wow, I didn't expect all of these posts so soon. Honestly, I don't want to overclock anything this time around. My dad is funding this endeavor and it's only once in a blue-moon that I get a new computer (I'm on a Pentium 3 1.65 ghz right now). Besides, doesn't overclocking cause system instability? About the graphics card: I don't think I can fit 2 8800GT's in my case. It physically occupies two PCI express x16 slots and you need to open one below that for proper cooling. About keyboards/monitors/speakers: I am just worrying about the main components right now; I'm gonna blow the rest of my money on this stuff afterything else is taken care of. I would a 24' monitor (OMGZ BIG), but I can't find a good deal on one. BTW: I'm still looking for a psu.

Overclocking CAN cause your system to be unstable, but you can still get massive overclocks if your carefull and remain stable.

If you cant fit 2GTS's Eitehr change your case or get 1 GTX. Here's a PSU i would personally reccomend.

Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

G.Skills or Crucial Ballistix ram are the way to go IMO. but im stuck with ebuyer value ram (2x1GB Stcks) an di can honestly say its FINE for my purposes, Gameing ect ect. It 's probably bad for O/Cing Though.

You don't need a SLi board. Ask just about anyone and they will tell that SLI isn't worth it except in a few cases.

The Crucial Ballistix are good but G.skill is cheaper and performs just as well...so why pay more?

OCZ Gamestreams have quite unstable rails...but there are 4 of them as well. Most people tend to stay away from them anymore as 700w is overkill for SLI 8800GTX let alone a single one, plus there are better PSU's for the price.

Do NOT get a pre-overclocked card as you can take a regular card and overclock it much higher than that. Overclocking graphics cards are the most simple thing and they are COMPLETELY safe. If you don't overclock at least a new GPU (not voltmod) then thats a little stupid as all you do is download a program and move the slider to where you want.

Why are you getting a Seagate 7200.9 ATA drive instead of a Seagate 7200.10 SATA 3.0 drive. SATA 3.0 is faster

Also overclocking systems CAN cause instability but everyone does a torture test after they overclock for usually 8 hours to see if it's stable. it's usually considered "Prime Stable" as Prime95 used to be used to test everything but now Orthos is used a lot. Overclocking a CPU is a little harder than video card and I could see why you wouldn't want to do it (still very safe) but not overclocking your card as I stated is just stupid...

not overclocking your card as I stated is just stupid...

If your card runs games fine as it is, why overclock your gfx when all it does is cause more heat output and shorten its lifespan...

Unless Im benching, my rig runs everything I throw at it fine at stock speeds, and I dont even have an 8 series card...

Um...overclocking doesn't really produce the heat output just by upping the mhz. Voltmod is what really shortens the lifespan.

my 7900GS runs at the EXACT SAME temp's on stock speedz and 615/835 which is around 54-56.

I'm saying for him to take a standard card and overclock if if he was going to pay 40 bucks more for pre-overclocked. Why pay the extra 40 when you could EASILY put it right up to where the stock card was with no trouble.

I can guarentee you that when i have my cpu at 3.6ghz regardless of how much voltage goes through it, it produces more heat.

Heck, for my most extreme graphics overclocking, ive needed to use a half dozen 120mm fans to keep the card cool, and nowhere in rivatuner is one given an option of raising any voltages 550/1300 mhz stock 754/1720 mhz overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom