processor query

Status
Not open for further replies.
"but in the Bios settings it shows that it is in fact 24 x 100 MHz not 12 x 200"

"We should say its 6x400, which is reality. Here's why we do it differently.

In your first example where the front side bus was 100mhz and the multiplier was 4, that front side bus operated off of a 100mhz clock. Think of the clock as a 12hour clock with a second hand spinning around 100 million times a second. In that era, the front side bus would transmit bits every time the clock struck 12, or 100 million times a second.

In this era of a 2400mhz p4 (which has a quad pumped bus), the system clock is still 100mhz just like before, but now bits are transmitted when the clock strikes 12, 3, 6, and 9 (that's the quad-pumped part), resulting in 400 million transmissions per second. So this is called a 24x100 cpu, but really should be called a 6x400 cpu. The reason it isn't is because the convention does not follow throughput, but the actual construction of the cpu speed, which indeed is dividing the system clock (100mhz) by 24. "

Maybe that will help you understand a little better

Demalii said:
"but in the Bios settings it shows that it is in fact 24 x 100 MHz not 12 x 200"

"We should say its 6x400, which is reality. Here's why we do it differently.

In your first example where the front side bus was 100mhz and the multiplier was 4, that front side bus operated off of a 100mhz clock. Think of the clock as a 12hour clock with a second hand spinning around 100 million times a second. In that era, the front side bus would transmit bits every time the clock struck 12, or 100 million times a second.

In this era of a 2400mhz p4 (which has a quad pumped bus), the system clock is still 100mhz just like before, but now bits are transmitted when the clock strikes 12, 3, 6, and 9 (that's the quad-pumped part), resulting in 400 million transmissions per second. So this is called a 24x100 cpu, but really should be called a 6x400 cpu. The reason it isn't is because the convention does not follow throughput, but the actual construction of the cpu speed, which indeed is dividing the system clock (100mhz) by 24. "

Maybe that will help you understand a little better

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. With his processor he would have a 200MHz FSB and a multipler of 15 which would be 3GHz.
I've now remembered that they're both the FSB it's just that quad pumped FSB when compared to the unmultipled FSB is given another name so you will be able to tell the difference between them.

thanks, i thought there was something wong, i saw the processor having a FSB of 200, when it should be 800, phew

FYI all processors with 'FSB' at the moment have no higher than 200 MHz. Certain brands will have different architecture to multiply this, but in essence it is still only 200MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom