Please help diagnose what te problem on my PC is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badass01

Beta member
So everything was cool with it until....

I open it up to attach an older hard drive to get all the data from that hard drive backed up.

Or the power to this older HD, I disconnect the power going to the DVD-Drive and hok it to the hard drive.

The motherboard on this PC is a new one and therefore HD conections are SATA. However, I notice that there is an IDE connector on the motherboard which is connected to the DVD-drive. So I take this connection out and hook it up to the older hard drive I had.

Thing is, after I tried starting it up again, the monitor says NO SIGNAL and the motherboard is making clicking noises. Also the DVD drive and the other one (slave) are both flashing lights in sync with the clicking on the motheroard.

I have obviously disconnected that older HD and put everything where it should be although I cannot get any solution.

My guess is that I should not have attached the hard drive to the IDE connector on the motherboard and as a result have ****ed up my motherboard...

Whatcha reckon?

I highly doubt that it is your motherboard making the click noise.

Its more likely that the Old HD is dead, and therefore making the click like noise.
Unless you mean beeps? Are the sounds beeps comming from the internal speaker?

What have you tried besides hooking everyting back up like normal and simply turning it on?

Unattach all drives, clear CMOS for 2 minutes and turn it on. If POST is successfull you can try it again with the drives attached.

I highly doubt that it is your motherboard making the click noise.

Its more likely that the Old HD is dead, and therefore making the click like noise.
Unless you mean beeps? Are the sounds beeps comming from the internal speaker?

What have you tried besides hooking everyting back up like normal and simply turning it on?

Unattach all drives, clear CMOS for 2 minutes and turn it on. If POST is successfull you can try it again with the drives attached.
the older hd is no longer connected to the pc.

the only one connected is the one that was already attached. how do i clear the cmos? there is absolutely no signal going to the monitor...

Do you mean also unattaching the hard drive or just the DVD-drives. I have unattached both and it still happens. I will, however, try clearing the CMOS for 2 minutes. What do you mean by "POST"?

POST just basicly means that the bios boots up and recognizes the devices

I have sorted out the problem.

I dont know what caused it - it may have ben the static. i was more careful this time.

Basically, I disconnected all drives and took out all graphics cards, etc to see if the clicking was still going on - it was.

Then I took out the RAM and turned it on - there was just a loud constant beep coming out as I realised tis was because the RAM was needed.

So I put the RAM back in and BOOM - the clicking stops - there is a little beep and everything is back to normal. The clicking I was talking about occurs just the once wen I turn my PC on - and then the RAM kicks in. It seems the RAM was not working and the clicking just kept on happening constantly.

Thanks for all the help - in future I know to be more careful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom