First TIme Overclock, PC not working now. HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvpo.geo

Baseband Member
I wanted to overclock my Athlon XP 2600+. I have a 550 watt PSU.

Anyway I followed a guide to overclocking and went inside my bios, I left the multiplier as it was at 12.5, I then changed the FSB from 166/33 to 167/33.

So basically an overclock from 2.075 to 2.087 ghz. When I booted up windows everything went fine. I then checked the temps and they usually run 48 C at Idle and like 55-57 C at full load when running it stock. I know they are high but I am using stock cooling.

Anyway the temps were at like 54 C idle with the overclock. They were at about 66-67 C when running Prime95 and my computer just shut down. I planned on just putting it back to normal and waiting for my new PC to do overclocking but the PC won't turn back on now.

This just happened like 10 minutes ago, so maybe i have to give it some time to cool down or something? Please help me out or reassure me that I'm ok, Im kinda upset right now.

letting it cool down may let it turn on for you to revert the settings. otherwise (and i reccomend this any way!) you should reset the CMOS settings either by identifying the CMOS jumper (if there is one on the board) and following the manufacturers instructions or simply by unplugging the power cable from the PC and removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. put the battery back and power up. ALL the settings should have reverted to defaults.

if you have any trouble finding the CMOS battery, it's a "button cell" and should be the only battery on the motherboard ;)

I just tried taking out the battery and let it sit for 2 mins, I then put it back in and rehooked up the computer. It still isn't working, it makes sort of a slight click like its tryign to turn on when I hit the power button but nothing happens. I just recently got a new power supply for this computer less than a week ago, do you think the power supply could have gone on it already!?

Someone help me out lol, Im giving this computer to my parents. (I was overclocking just to try the whole overclockign thing out and see if I could do it.)

Ok, whenever I try to power it on. Blue LED(i believe) Lights that came installed in the PSU will flash on for a second then shut off. That is the small click I here for a second as if its powering up then stops. Do you guys just think this new PSU has failed on me? Is returning a failed PSU to newegg an easy process?

I took out the CMOS battery 2 times now. And tried that method. It hasn't worked. Well hopefully I'll have some insight by the morning.

yeah, you got something screwy going on.
probably a dead psu.
you shouldnt see a temp increase when you overclock unless you raise the voltage. just raising the cpu clock will not generate any more heat.
take a multi-meter and check the psu's output, or put your old one back in (if you still have it) and see if it works.

Sent the PSU back RMA or whatever to exchange. I have a question, why the **** do I have to pay another 8 bucks for shipping when its not my fault the thing gave out. NewEgg should cover the replacement shipping both way shouldn't they? lol

you shouldnt see a temp increase when you overclock unless you raise the voltage. just raising the cpu clock will not generate any more heat.

not quite true nagasama. heat increases are mostly the result of voltage increases when overclocking. however a reasonable component is from the increased clock speed too. think about it, higher frequency means greater activity. the more activity in the processor the greater the energy consuption and consequentially heat output.

sadly this does look like hardware failure of some kind, though i don't think it's the power supply (can't hurt much RMA'ing it other than a few bucks postage though ;)). it could be the motherboard, memory, expansion cards or even the processor. in my experience it's unlikely to be the processor as they are quite resilient when overclocking, they are generally damaged by excessive voltage, prolonged high temperatures and time. a likely candidate which is easy to test is that your graphics card could have been damaged if the AGP bus frequency is not locked (though i think in your case it is given your FSB settings e.g. 166/33 which indicate the PCI frequency is locked to 33MHz so presumably the AGP frequency is in reference to that). that leaves memory and motherboard. if you have any spare DDR memory around that's the next thing to check. motherboards like this can fail while overclocking due to the chipset disliking FSB increases.

I would have to say it is either Motherboard or PSU.... Even without RAM, the PSU should stay on, the machine just won't POST... same with video card. Not sure about CPU though... I haven't ever tried to start a computer WITHOUT a CPU in it...

i did that once. it gave an error in big red text "error abnormal cpu hardware yada yada". just for fun. i think that particaulr motherboard was just hardwired to display that if there was no cpu, stored in some obscure rom chip. makes sense. but its prolly not true for all boards.

If it was my video card, wouldn't the power supply do more than have a flash or lights for about a second? This power supply was on the cheaper end, so thats why I'm assuming it is the power supply. I'm hoping its just the power supply but maybe it could end up being the motherboard and I will have to get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom