Upgrade... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

small256

In Runtime
Hi all. Would it be beneficial for me to add a second 1gb stick of pc3200 RAM? I'm guessing probably yes, but I thought i'd ask anyway.

Also, i've currently got a 6800 gs extreme version OC'd to 487 core and 1105 memory. With some of the newer games, there's a rather noticeable lag in fps... If I can find one, do you think I should buy a 7900 GTO? And if so, will it even work with my rather pants AMD 3000+ (which was OC'd to about 2.4 at one point but that only lasted a few weeks before it started throwing a wobbly. Currently on about 2.0, I think I can get it to about 2.25 safely.)

I've put this in the general forum because last time I posted anything about all this old kit in the high performance section I got a slapped wrist :p

Oh and finally, what are thoughts on a couple of 120gb SATA HDDs? RAther than my measly 80gb ide (it's served me well so far)

anything better will just get bottlenecked by your Sempron. Ram is not incencial if you dont need it. When you go to task manager, does it use more than 1 gig of ram? if so just get 512mb that should be enough. If it doesn't go over 1gig then the other ra would be just wasted. So i suggest also a better CPU as well, their really cheap now what socket do are you using?

Unfortunately i'm using a skt 775. so there's only one upgrade i can do. which is about 200mhz more. Woohoo... i figured that the processor was going to be the main problem.

I've got a ram optimiser running which tells me how much is being used. And quite often I can come out of games such as Oblivion adn it'll be in the red area telling me it's using about 95% of the ram for it. Which could explain why the game keeps getting choppy now and again...

But anyway, I was thinking of an entire upgrade at some point, i've just got a lot of other things to pay for at the moment. MAybe i'd just be better off saving up for now.

Thanks for your help

do you mean 754?
what RAM configuration do you have?
if you have a single 1GB then another 1GB of the same will give dual channel
getting lag in newer games is inevitable with an aging PC-not that yours is so bad really. i would not get the CPU upgrade, as you identified you would not get a massive performance boost-especially since you are able to overclock the one you have now

oops, yeah sorry, 754.

And yeah it's a single 1gb stick. I think perhaps I might just put up with what I have now for a few months and start saving money for a completely new pc. I've been meaning to for a while, it's just that I've got to pay for a lot of other stuff soon as well.

I expect I'll have made another post soon asking for advice on various new bits and pieces. God i'd kill for an 8800gtx...

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom