ctfmon.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

torio

Beta member
Hello everyone :)
I have been everywhere on the net trying to find out about ctfmon.exe and how to remove it. From what I've read, it belongs to Microsoft Office XP, but, I don't have Microsoft Office XP on my computer... never have. They say that if it isn't from Microsoft Office XP, then it is a virus.
I have disabled ctfmon.exe many many times in the Start up, but, it keeps haunting me by appearing again.
If someone can help me out on this, I'll be eternally grateful !

Thank you so much in advance !

torie

My OS
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Ctfmon.exe monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies.

Basically, its not needed. Do Ctrl + Alt + Del and end the process when you seen it.

Do you have any version of Office on your system?

No, that's what puzzles me, there are no office programs on my computer at all. There never was any in the beginning. I remember long ago ( or I thought so ) that when you installed Windows that there would be some kind of office programs installed at the same time, but, not from Windows XP. I reformatted last week and none of any were installed, and yet, that bloody ctfmon.exe keeps appearing.

Motoxer, I have been deleting it and it keeps coming back. It wouldn't bother so much if I knew for sure that it wasn't dangerous, but, no matter where I look on the net, it says it is a virus or something if you don't have Office Software.

Thanks guys for your replies

torio

I found that same process running on my computer. I have a Dell Dimension 4400 with Windows XP. I've always thought that it was either some kind of process that comes with SP2 but not the original XP, but I've always had that ctfmon.exe process in the task manager since I bought this computer and I've reformatted it at least four times. It never gave me any problems, I am almost certain it's not a virus.

it's nothing to worry about, and it doesn't use but a couple meg of ram
"ctfmom.exe" is the virus, not ctfmon (notice the M and N difference at the end)

Thank you everybody for your replies :) It doesn't bother me as it once did. I'm learning to live with it and my system seems pretty healthy.

Thanks again !

Torio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom