speaker system

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
I have the Cambridge Soundworks "Soundworks" speaker system. It is rated at 33 watts power. The system itself is great but I wanted something more. After digging in my corner of junk, I found two Sanyo speakers. Each of the speakers are rated at 70 watts. Does this mean that the sub/amp will have to run at 140+ watts or does it mean that the speakers can handle up to 70 watts so the sub/amp won't damage it? Or is there another meaning to this?

The watt-age of the speakers mean how much the speakers will handle individualy, the rating on the sub (assuming it works like a car stereo) tells you how much power the sub CAN supply to each speaker individually.

Example:
220 watt stereo operating at max with 180watt speakers, will blow the speakers.

A 220 watt stereo operating at max with 300watt speakers is not pushing the speakers as much as they could be.

I suggest if you have a 140 watt sub, and only 70 watt speakers, set up some volume limits.

so im safe?, i was wondering cause i blew the internal fuse once and its was a pretty high amp fuse.

Yeah you should be fine, the speakers in my truck are 180watt and my stereo (which in this sence is basically an amp or sub, whatever is supplying the power to the speakers) is 220watt. My stereo has a nice built in function that limits the max power it can put out to match my speakers.

Always go by RMS, not peak wattage. You have to figure out if the wattage rating of the amp is total, or individual. Say it says 200watts. Does that mean 100w for left and 100w for right or 200 for each?

If your speakers handle 70w PEAK, then they will handle somewhere around 30ish i think (cue ericB) RMS. So, if you're amp is 100w total, then it will give 50w per channel and your speakers will be fine. If more than what the speakers say, then don't push them. You wont blow them instantly, but as you get louder, you'll exceed the 70w rating and pop them.

explain your exact setup, then I can explain it to you. are you running a receiver to the sanyo's? also what sub are you using? is it powered? are those ratings RMS or peak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom