Need advice building a Video Editing Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu3kGTVR4

Baseband Member
I'm trying to layout what components I should get to build a good video editing computer.

I was going to get a G5, but then I realized it would be much more expensive in the end. So I was wondering if there were any motherboards out there that support dual 64 bit AMD's like the G5?

If so, where could I get it and the processors?

Or, if you think there's something better let me know, I'm just trying to find what the best thing is for what I'm doing right now.

I've looked at the dual Xeon setup http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/pro/Video_Editing_Dual_Processor_Computer_Workstations.asp

but I don't know... 2 64 bit AMD's is better right?

Along with that, I'll be getting a Matrox video card

I'm new to this so please let me know what you think is best
thanks

OKay let me help you out here. IM assuming you have no budget since your using avid! Your going to want to do dual xeons because thats going to run programs in windows for video editing a lot better then amd will. Partly because of sheare speed. Dual 3.06, your going to want atleast 1gb of ram 2gb would be better. I reccomend running a scsi 15k rpm hard drive as ur main for windows and software then a 200gb or whattver for your video and files. I would wait till the end of june then dual layer burners are coming out for only about 230 bucks. The video card i would reccomend something will dual dvi it doesnt have to be super great or fast just atleast a 128mb. Give me a price limit and i will find all the parts you will need and post the links. Im a intermediate video editor simply because i have no camera until i get the dvx100a at end of summer but thats okay. Im friends with a lot of people going to LA films schools. I reccomend the Avid mojo Dna hardware to you because it kind of replaces the powerpack and is really nice. Yah but seriously give me a price limit. And check ur pm box please

thank you very much, i didn't know dual xeons would be better. i'm going to film school soon also, nyfa. i'll pm you later. thanks again

mrzeeedler said:
I would wait till the end of june then dual layer burners are coming out for only about 230 bucks.

I would wait a little longer on the duel-layer burner. The price will come down, the technology will evolve, and there will be more options. Plus, media isn't yet readily available.

thanks for the advice, i am going to wait. i haven't been on here in 2 months as i've been on the warped tour. i almost bought a G5 though, because we had about 10 of them but apple asked for everything back... ah well, still waiting to build a pc. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom