Hard Drive Image question

Status
Not open for further replies.
You also mentioned bootdisk.com to get a file? Or were you referring to the 98boot.exe which you have on your FTP?

It's no problem, littleman. I know that you'r enot getting paid to help people on here, you're doing it voluntarilly. I thank you so much for the help that you've given me so far, I realy appreciated it =).

Ah, ok then, lol.

Well, I just need to take the floppy drive out of my old comp, and then get a couple floppy disks, and I should be ready to go =). I'll update you if I have any problems/questions/if I get it to work xD.

Thanks a ton for the help, littleman, I really appreciate it ^_^.

I use ghost quite a bit at the work place. If you were to clone the entire hard drive to the new one, you should have both partitions on the drive and not have to rename any partitions.

What I would do in this case is create a ghost boot disk. If the drive hasn't been formated, you will need to do a Full Format on the drive before ghost will work. Has to have a file system, bran new hard drives come with a raw file system, unusable. Attach both hard drives to the PC, if you have a SATA and a IDE make the IDE Master. Boot to the disk and do Local>Disk>To Disk. This should make both drives exactly like each other. After Ghost has finished the clone, restart the PC. PC should boot to the SATA and say that it has found new hardware (the hard drive) and restart again.

After this you can right click "My Computer" and go to "Manage". From there you should see "Disk Management" in the left section. Click "Disk Management" and you should see both drives, they will look exactly the same. You should be able to tell by the Capacity. Right click the partition on the old drive and go to Delete Partition. Do this with both partitions. After both are removed, right click the blank hard drive space and choose "Create Partition". You will go threw a few questions, just keep hitting next. When it comes to format the drive, since the drive is used you can do a quick format and it would be perfectly fine. Full format is more for bran new hard drives. It should give you a new drive letter for the slave and the SATA should have C: and D: as your past PC did.

1. you can't clone ide to sata. or At least nobody I know (I know some smart people, right warez?) have done it. the boot path is different

2. full format is for old discs. it adds checkdisc to the mix fix bad areas

I would keep the 1st hard drive windows and make the second my document folder

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=126882
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56137

I cant say for other versions of ghost, but I do know that ghost 2003 is able to do SATA to IDE or IDE to SATA. I have done both about every other day. Even laptop hard drives being SATA will work. One thing that will NOT work for Ghost is IBM laptops. I have no clue what is diffrent but it will just not take a cloned new drive.

Well I hope it'll work, otherwise I kinda got the bigger HDD for nothin =\.

Anyway...before I put the floppy drive in/get a few floppies (trying to see if some of my friends have a couple I could borrow, cuz it'll be kinda useless for me to just buy a pack for only 2 that'll only be used like once xD). But anyway, before I do the floppy thing...wouldn't I be able to make a boot CD with like Nero? Cuz I can make a bootable disc in Nero, so couldn't I just burn the exe's onto 2 discs/make them boot discs? Or would that not work?

I would keep the 1st hard drive windows and make the second my document folder
I don't really wanna do that.
a) I want a larger HDD for everything basically, because I have a couple games that take up quite a bit of room/programs.
b) My brother told me not to have my OS on one drive, and install stuff on another drive, because if I have to re-do something..It makes it a total pain the *** (he knows from experience...he did it at one time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom