Performance RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisaru

Beta member
I've recently started looking into building a performance P4 machine, but I'm a little confused on which way to go for RAM. I've been away from the techie world for a while now (actually, stuck in Iraq) so I regretfully haven't kept up to date. It seems as though my choices are a DDR set up on a dual-channel motherboard or Rambus. At the time I built my old system Rambus was top of the line. Currently, however, it seems as though everyone is going the dual-channel DDR route. Is this due simply to affordability? RDRAM boasts 1066MHz speeds, whereas PC4400 DDR RAM runs with 550MHz. With dual-channel technology the latter should be equivalent to 1100MHz, correct?

I know that DDR is cheaper, and I've heard that it's easier to overclock, so I'd assume go with the DDR. Is there anything I'm missing? Is dual-channel DDR RAM the way to go? Any other recommendations?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. Thanks.

Yes i would say that ddr dual channel is the way to go. Its cheaper and its faster. Theoretically that is, its supposed to be slightly faster i guess, because as one sends info the other receives. I run rdram and i guess dual channel sounds fast, but for now my comp is fine with rdram. I would go for the ddr because of the price.

Well, RAMbus is extremly expensive plus in the market is hardly to find mobo using rambus ram.
Anyway, u can choose twin pair performance DDR400 Ram into dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom