386 SD-RAM
80gig seagate 40 gig western digital
DVD-RW drive can't remember the name at the moment
CD-RW DVD combo drive
2001 gateway keyboard
2006 GE optical mouse
Saitek d990 PC controller
Chinese Debugger card

Ok I put everything together it took me less than 25 minutes, I plug up the mouse the keyboard and my 2 usb hubs everything comes on except for the keyboard and monitor. In other words if the keyboard doesn't flicker on the monitor won't come on at all. this is almost my third failure of getting a modern day up to date PC to post right. is their something that I'm doing wrong or can it be fixed soon I would hate to have send both parts to the people who sold me the parts on ebay.com

I'm very unhappy right now and its late so I'm going to bed. thanks for any help.

Recommendation #1: Next time, don't buy from eBay unless you absolutely HAVE to (and the only cases I can think of where this would apply is if you need parts for your C64, Apple II, etc.).

Recommendation #2: Take out a stick of RAM and try to boot. Then try the other by itself. Make sure that Compaq motherboard you are trying to use isn't being fried because it requires a proprietary PSU. Also make sure there are no obviously burnt parts on the mobo, and ensure it doesn't smell of smoke.

If that doesn't work, well...

Chinese Debugger card

Que....?

Did you put thermal paste/grease between the CPU heat sink, right? What brand? .....and, you DID put a heatsink on the CPU right?

Were the parts bought NEW IN BOX on ebay, or USED - AS IS?

EDIT:Ok, here is what you should do.
  • 1st, disconnect the peripherals, and put them away for now...
  • 2nd, remove all hardware that you can and still have the computer post..... leave the motherboard, CPU, video card, and ONE stick of ram... get rid of any other sticks of ram for right now, take out any sound card, and the chinese debugger card, as well as one of the optical drives.
  • Try getting the computer to POST with the bare minimum, to see if it will even POST at all. From there, slowly add a component and reboot. Do this until the computer fails to POST, and you will be able to find out what the problem is.
  • What brand & size power supply are you using? It could be that it is overloaded...

Also, a side note.... how many peripherals are you running that you need a USB hub, let alone TWO USB hubs....?
/EDIT

Etheral Dragon

That Motherboard only has 2 usb ports I use to usb hubs for flash drive wireless adapter card 2nd usb port, saitek game controller and canon canoscan scanner.

Actually the debugger came from japan actually but the whole thing is in english. when I used it, I didn't get a number post from it instead 8 lights were on it (I) this means lit up (X) this means red lights off the debugger card gave me six lights on like this XXXIIII. Like I said before everything turns on accept the KEYBOAD and MONITOR.

I followed your advice but the **** thing won't work with me at all. I talked to the seller about this and he agreed to send me a new motherboard to try out he said he would test it himself to make sure it would work properly. he did have one concern, my used AMD Palimino XP 1800+ might not be compatbile with board since it more advanced than the original 1800+ CPU, however he doesn't know for sure...... and yes I used heat sink fan with cpu, however I will put a new fan on the heatsink it is about 3 years old and after running for about 45 minutes its strength gets weak pretty quickly.

Last StarLogic power supply 400 watts 2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom