How to remove CPU//where to put it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diabloII

Fully Optimized
yea, well i'm stupid :p

I have a DFI lanparty UT ultra-d motherboard and i was wondering how to remove the CPU

well, i know how, you just unscrew, release the latch, and pull out the CPU, but:
1.) do i pull the CPU out with force?
2.) where do i put the CPU after i'm done pulling it out? i won't have another motherboard to put it on for another month (RMA'd this board), is it safe to just leave the CPU hanging in a box for a month? (room temperature of course)
3.) i just apply thermal glue to between the CPU and mobo like i would as if the CPU was new, right?

thanks

First off just undo the latch and if theres nothing ontop of the CPU anymore just pull it out with mild amount of force straight up so you dont bend any pins. You are supposed to keep CPU chips in the little case like things they come in when you buy them but i don't even have mine anymore. You can buy replacements for like 4 bucks and stuff but if you dont have one put it somewhere in soemthing where the pins wont get bent or broken and yes room temperature is fine.

You don't need to put anything on the pins of the CPU if thats what you mean..as you said between the CPU and mobo. Just place a new one in the socket and latch it shut. Then you apply thermal paste between the CPU and the Heatsink Fan

1.) do i pull the CPU out with force?
No, and never do this, you could damage the connection pins, the CPU, or both. There is a level on the side that you pull up. It's a very gentle process.

2.) where do i put the CPU after i'm done pulling it out? i won't have another motherboard to put it on for another month (RMA'd this board), is it safe to just leave the CPU hanging in a box for a month? (room temperature of course)

The last few CPU's I've ordered had plastic protectors for the bottom. If you've still got that, use it with an anti-static bag. At the very least, just get an anti-static bag and throw it in there and make sure it's dust free.

3.) i just apply thermal glue to between the CPU and mobo like i would as if the CPU was new, right? thanks

NO! Don't put anything between the CPU and the motherboard. Put the thermal compound on top of the CPU and then put the fan on--as that's where you want the best heat transfer.

I highly suggest you get some detailed directions if you've never done this before.

I have a video of me removing my waterblock for cleaning the CPU. This will be done for tonight. (assuming I can do more than one play through before WMM crashes. :angry:

Put simply, a gentle twist to get the heatsink off is all you need to do. It is slightly easier to do when the paste is warm.

Place the cpu in a HDD clam shell or anti static bag upside down after you have cleaned the paste off.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/do-you-still-want-video-how-apply-remove-thermal-compound-139999/

Make sure you don't use thermal glue... you will never get the HSF back off if you do. You need thermal grease.

Get your hands on a tube of Arctic Silver 5... like CrazeD said, if you put thermal glue on it you will never beable to ge your cpu off or your HSF, Stuck there for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom