Can't properly diagnose the problem, there are too many conflicts to handle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skuzzy

Beta member
First let me start with the common specs:
HP Pavilion a700y PJ618AV with MS-6577 4.1 motherboard and Phoenix 3.25 BIOS with Windows XP SP2

The symptoms:
-Whenever I change anything in the BIOS I get checksum errors and it defaults to the standard options and boots (LiveUpdate shows no updated BIOS released after this version, so why the corruption?)
-Whenever I restart the resolution goes back to the standard 800x600 even though the graphics drivers are correct and "working properly" according to Windows
-Restart random files go corrupt and Daemon Tools SCSI adapter is always wiped -scandisk prompts on restart even after clean or seemingly clean shut down/restart
-No virus according to scan with latest DAT using Symantec
-Processor spikes of up to 20% to send an IM using a P4 2.8GHz with 512MB ram (processor temperature is actually quite low even on 100% load 45C max)
And accordingly computer has huge spikes and cpu usage for trivial things

I have run Memtest86+ with 0 errors, but other than that I don't really know of reliable tools related to this

Any help is pre-appreciated by skuzzy Corp. -.-
Thanks

first off, its an hp...

My first two computers were HP's. It's funny because it's so true. ha ha... :( (well, it's funnier now that I don't own an HP). :D

Anyway, I agree, check the battery inside. If you've got a multimeter with a battery check function, try that out. If you don't, it'll be cheaper to just replace the battery.

If you don't see any results from that, make sure you run scandisk to make sure nothing is messed up on your hard drive.

yep, checksum error means the cmos battery is dead. Just replace it with a new one.
As to your other errors, im not sure that replacing the battery will solve them.
You might want to check that theres no huge memory hog on your system, and how many background programs are you running?

I have all startup programs from msconfig removed and there is hardly any background processes running, and a very small fraction of the commit charge, but still outrageous processor use that really should not be prevalent. Thanks for the help and I will try changing the CMOS battery. I was only down for Easter though as I am happily back to my computer that is sturdy as a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom