Windows XP CD Key on 2 PCs !!Need Help with this ASAP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Ill explain the whole situation to you guys, and maybe you can help me. First, i used a windows xp sp 2 i bought at a store on 2 pcs with the same cd key, and it authenticated both times when it wanted to activate windows before you can use it, so i take it it lets you use the same cd key twice? Or will i have problems with using stuff like windows update n junk on both of the computers? if the answer is yes then dont bother reading on and just post yes it will work fine. But, if not, here is my big situation i need help with.

I have a dell pc that origanally came with SP 1 of xp. One day a windows update told me to order this cd to upgrade to SP 2. I ordered it, installed it, had sp2. Now, today i turn on my computer only to see that alot of my windows files have been corrupted. So, i put in my dell XP sp 1 cd, and it did not find a version of windows to do the repair install to, because i think it was SP 2 installed on the pc now, and it could only detect SP 1's for the repair install. So i have a SP 2 cd i purchased from a store for another computer that has been already installed and activated on the compyuter it was intended for, but since this was service pack 2, the install recognized my version of windows and gave me the option to do repair install. I did this, and when i got to the CD part, i tried my windows CD key for my dell SP 1 cd, and it did not work, im guessing because it was an SP 1 key and i was installing sp2. So i used the cd key that came with the purchased SP 2 that was already installed onto another computer. Everything installed fine, and when i got to the activation part i did it over my modem, and it was sucessful, i expected it not to be since i already had it registered from another pc. So, if both my pcs wont run into any problems with the same cd key registered tell me, if there will be problems, how can i change my cd key to the SP 1 key i have without losing all my precious files? I do not want to have to backup all my files, reformat, install the sp 1 with its key, then install the sp2 upgrade, then migrate all my files back onto my harddrive, deal with updating a bunch of stuff again and reconfiguring everything.etc. Also, do you think if i explained this situation to a microsoft customer support rep. they would issue me a sp2 key if i gave them my legit sp1 key and explained the situation in detail?

reinstall using ur SP 1 cd. you don't need to use the second cd, SP2 will be downloaded through windows update.

you can't use the same cd key 2 different computers

p.s. dont double post

if i install with the sp 1 cd though i will have to back up all my files because i will lose them cuz i will need to repartition, and the sp 2 thing i got on the cd was the same as the download, but it was such a big file, and im on dial up, and it sent me a link to get the cd instead of having to download like 250mb or so.

Someone just told me as long as you dont register the cd key, it will work fine on multiple pcs.

u can use 1 key for 2 computers just look through the windows updates and dont download windows verifier or w.e tool.

reinstall using ur SP 1 cd. you don't need to use the second cd, SP2 will be downloaded through windows update.

you can't use the same cd key 2 different computers

p.s. dont double post

yes you can use one cd key on two computers

I believe MS let's you use 1 key on 2 comps, as they want you to be able to install your copy on a desktop and a laptop. At least that's the reasoning I heard. Not sure if that's from the official source though.

You could also activate the second one simply by calling and saying you upgraded you're pc...not the most honest route, but it works : )

thank you now i know for next time. I bought xp home edition sp2 for 2 of my computers cause i thought i would get caught having 1 copy on 2 computers.

Then i stole a copy of xp pro so maybe i should get rid of xp pro and install xp home. thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom