laptop keyboard just lost Alt key (dang cat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
so many cat just jumped onto my laptop (hp pavilion dv4000) and managed to pull out the alt key in the process of slipping off of the computer. normally no problem, but this time she snapped one of the little containing bars that sit on the bottom of the key.

im afraid the piece that snapped off is lost into oblivion, or at least under another one of my keys, and its so tiny id never find it.

so does anyone have a handy tip for replacing keys on their keyboard?

im thinking of

a) superglue something down there of relatively the same size/shape.

b) going to a computer store, finding the nearest model, snap their alt key off, replacing it with my own (secret agent man)

c) buying a replacement key?

d) all is lost

which of these are the right way to start do you think?

thanks alot!

tech support to the rescue!

Drew Chapman: so you cant help me?
Preston: We don't have the option to replace the single key
Drew Chapman: lol
Drew Chapman: can we replace all the keys at once? like, i send you my credit card number, and you send me a big bag of keys you got laying around?
Preston: Yes,I will assist you
Drew Chapman: thanks alot preston i hate when some companies cant assit me with their product cause its out of warrenty
Preston: HP respect all the esteems customer's
Preston: Keyboard assembly - 88 keys (101 key compatible) with Windows key, includes ribbon cable (United States)
Preston: It will cost you $56
Preston: If you would like to receive one; I can arrange a call from our concerned department.
Drew Chapman: hmmm.... it is compatible with my computer?
Drew Chapman: well, i suppose it is :) your the tech guy
Drew Chapman: can i just get the part number of that setup?
Preston: Yes, its very easy to replace the new keyboard
Preston: Are you comfortable in removing and replacing the keyboard
Drew Chapman: the keys come individually seperated? or are you trying to sell the whole keyboard?
Drew Chapman: i would like to keep the rest of the keys there, and just take out the one key i need :) and to answer your question, im not comfortable replacing the entire thing
Preston: Yes, we need to replace the whole keyboard
Drew Chapman: LOL
Preston: Alright
Drew Chapman: thanks, but no thank you, i will just keep it the way it is :)
Drew Chapman: thats why the gods of HP made 2 alt keys :)
Preston: Yes, a mail in repair order for the notebook so that the notebook is picked up from you place and will be delivered at your place after the service is done.
Preston: It will cost you $298 for 90 days on hardware issue
Drew Chapman: thanks, but again, no thanks, i will just leave it damaged, im going to be building a desktop of my own soon

or not..

yes I could live without one key for that much however 50 bucks says you can find somewhere in this wide internet a replacement key.

I hope for your sake (if you are like me) that it was the ALT key on the RIGHT side that is gone... lol, I don't touch that one at all, probably the ONLY key on the keyboard at work I don't use....

I dont touch any of the Function keys on the right side of the keyboard either... and the only time I use the left side ones is during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom