PIII upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sat-geek

Solid State Member
First let me say I am a newbie so all discussion has to be pretty simple and clear.

I tried upgrading my PIII 600 to a PIII 1ghz twice. Both times got the "new"? (pulled) cpu from Ebay. Both times the machine would stall in the beginning of the boot process and go no further. Not sure if it was the "new" chips or the system or I was doing something wrong (or not doing something).

System is a Compaq Presario 7598 running w98 se.
I was advised by compaq that I could upgrade to a max of 1.2 or 1.3 PIII or Celeron.

I was about to order another chip from a more reliable source but thought I should ask someone much smarter than me first.

Please help me out with your suggestions and comments.

I don't think ur P3 needs an upgrade at all.
U will have to overhaul it.:D
Seriously upgrading ur p3 processor wouldn't do u any good.
If U r on a tight budget, u can consider AMD Athlon 2400+ with an Asus motherboard.
Light on ur pocket+good performance.

Thanks for the input. Don't think I'm ready for that serious of an upgrade, though. I'm looking for some better speed for general windows apps and graphic programs like photoshop.

Any other suggerstions

well, u can save your time if u want to upgrade your P3 into more high frequency. (600-1000).
Is just make no different at all.

Intel produced 2 variants of the 1 GHz chip: the "regular" Coppermine 1.0 (256k cache, 0.18 micron) and the 1.0A (512k cache, 0.13 micron). There are also 2 more variants of the regular 1.0: one with a 100 MHz FSB (1000E) and the other with the 133 (1000EB).

I'm guessing you bought the 133 MHz FSB variant and tried putting it into a motherboard that only supports 100 MHz FSB.

The 1.0A will not work in a motherboard that does not support the "newer" PIII Tualatin processors.

More great information, thanks.

Both new chips are 1000/256/133/1.7v.

If I need to reset the CMOS, is it simply a matter of removing the battery or is there actually a jumper that needs to be reset? Also will I need to reset the muliplier? How?

Thanks

Yeah there is a jumper for CMOS. U can refer ur motherboard manual.
In case U don't have it, u can always visit the manufacturers website.
Normally there are three pins for bios.
I don't know which pins to short for ur mobo.

Here are all the specs for the computer that I got from PowerLeap running inSpecs. They came back with a 1.2 celeron upgrade suggestion.

Model : Compaq PC

Chassis Type : Mini Tower
Chassis Serial Number : None
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 98 SE

Your Processor :

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Pentium III E
Specification :
Manufacturer Codename : Coppermine
Trace Width : 0.18
Clock Speed : 598 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 6.0