Corrupt windows XP file, wont boot XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikoman69

Daemon Poster
Whenever normally when windows loading screen comes up it says that a file is missing or corrupt in like windows/system32/(something/system. I have a dell pc, and my orig OS was xp SP 1, and i got an upgrade cd from windows for SP 2. Now, there is a recovery/repair thing on my SP 1 disk, but i dont know where to go once i get on that recovery disk to repair these files, also when it tells me that file is corrupt or missing it tells me to go to that recovery thing on my windows xp disk. Also, my bro has another little older dell pc, but he used my sp1 disk and sp2 upgrade disk on his, if i cannot get that file through the recovery thing on the sp1 disk, would it be possible to hook up his HDD, boot from it, find the file i need, then replace the corrupt one on my drive with it? I would just reformat the drive and reinstall windows,but i have about 10,000+ songs on that harddrive i do not want to lose.

del C:\Windows\system32\config\system
copy C:\windows\repair\system C:\windows\system32\config\system
exit

i did that, and it fixed that file, and now it says this file is missing or corrupt

\windows\system\vgaoem.fon

is there anything in the windows recovery console that will automatically detect all the corrupt files and fix then? because i think there is alot more files yet that are corrupted.

ok, i got a repair install going right now, for some reason i didnt have it on my dell xp cd, but it was on my dads XP SP2 cd. I hope it works out all right.

i did a job not so long ago on this and i tired recovery console but it didnt help but when it the 1st menu comes up i hit enter and on the second menu r for repair (this doesnt take you in to recover console like the 1st page) it works. Pm me if u need help or you dont quite understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom