OEM Version of Windows.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ioanni

In Runtime
Umm I was wondering if anyone could clear up a few things about OEM software. I've never used them always the "Full" versions. I was wondering how do they work? I've also herd that if you install OEM on one computer it becomes it soulmate and only works on that computer. How does that work? What happens if you need to reformate? If you upgrade the computer? Any other information would also be greatly appreciated.

With OEM windows it is locked to the motherboard (and case technically speaking). You can change all the other hardware as much as you like. The only exception is for hardware failure where you can replace the motherboard for the same one. Retail windows can be changed from PC to PC as much as you like as long as it is only on one at a time.

You can format as many times as you like. After 1 re install you need to phone up Microsoft for them to activate it. With Vista it is a lot more sensitive and you will need to call MS after things as small as a BIOS flash.

But how does the disk get locked to the motherboard? is what I don't understand

every part in your computer including the motherboard, hard drive, and cpu have a serial number associated with them. these serials a combined together and run through a hashing fuction to create a hardware fingerprint of your machine. this fingerprint is then sent to microsoft as part of activation. and thats how your computer gets locked in with the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom