New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for your last question you can go straight to 64-bit Vista from 32 XP with an OEM.

What is your budget for a graphics card?

ok thanks, I am looking for 256Mb, and about $100 to $150 for the card. Do you think that is a good size and price range for the rest of the system?

I forgot to mention, with the speed difference being the way it about how fast would a 1.86 Ghz Core 2 Duo be compared to a 2.6 Athlon 64?

Well first off the C2D has two cores on one die so there would be CPU's running at 1.86ghz inside of it.

a 2.6ghz Athlon would actually be about as fast as a 2.1ghz C2D but the Core 2 Duo still have two cores running at that speed.

I want you to understand that AMD actually isn't better for the money when you get that high up in the price range. You can also overclock Core 2's to amazing speeds to where AMD cannot even begin to touch. A 4.0ghz E6600...would need about an AMD X2 running somewhere around 5.2ghz to compete which AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

My $180 E6300 is upped from 1.86ghz to 3.22ghz. Also what do you mean??? There are many many good Intel mobos for C2D.

The Biostar P965, MSI P6N, DS3, P5B-E, P5B Deluxe, the P5W just to name a few.

First off that Sycthe isn't really worth it's money.

This however...is
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-P0114 120mm CPU Cooler - Retail

The BT Lapped offers amazing cooling and I highly suggest one.

I myself am not a huge fan of the E6400 right now as i don't think the extra multiplier is worth 40 bucks as you wouldn't tell much of a difference even in benchmarks, still it's not a BAD CPU so it's fine.

500w is overkill for a 7900GS as a 400w FSP can run it. I would either downgrade to a 450 FSP or instead of looking at a 7900GS look at one of these as there are only 3 cards faster to date than these.

Newegg.com - Open Box: SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 VIVO HDCP Video Card - OEM

Open box is fine as newegg people are stupid..a FSP 500w is better suited to run one of those without being overkill.

I am going to change the CPU Cooler to the one you suggested. Also I am going to change the power supply to a 450 watt FSP, I was just wondering if I would still have room for OCing and upgrading in the future.

Here is my build now:
ASUS DVD Burner
Antec 900 Case
Seagate Barracuda HDD
Gigabyte Motherboard
FSP Group Power Supply
G.Skill Memory
Intel Core 2 Duo processor

I will eventually be adding these:
Thermaltake CPU Cooler
EVGA Graphics Card
Hauppauge TV Tuner
Windows Vista 64-bit (after better driver support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom