Windows Licensing questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
I currently own a single copy of Windows XP, which I use on my gaming rig. I also have a multimedia rig which I would like to, at some point put Windows XP on. I understand that 1 license means you can install it on 1 computer.

Hypothetically, I was was to get the Vista (whichever flavor) UPGRADE.... Can I upgrade to Vista on my gaming rig, and be ok to then put Windows XP onto my media rig? I can only imagine that doing this would be against the EULA, but I am not sure...

Thanks all!

I highly doubt it would work 100%.

What I mean by that is: Im sure it will upgrade/install fine, but sooner or later you may not be able to get updates from microsoft on one of the machines.

Now, this may not be that big of a deal if the multimedia one isn't connected to the internet.

So try it, see what happens.

I know it would WORK to install them on different PC's, because I have an old Win 98 license, and I install it on all my new (old, but new to me) PC's to just make sure everything works, then I wipe them, an use for parts or whatever...

I just wasn't sure about the licensing, becuase if I were to get Vista, I know it would be a separate license, with a separate key....

Technically no. But yes it would work. Since the Gaming Rig would have Vista the XP license would still be valid but not in use and therefor could be used on the MultiMedia Rig.

I would think MS would be smart enough to track the old key and see that it's in use...I mean, they are charging quite a bit less for the "upgrade" version. With that, I'll place my bets on: it'll work at first, but soon caught by their "genuine" nonsense, and of course be against the EULA.

But I would try and see what happens...as arguing with MS's outsourced employees is always fun!

not really ive actiated my copy of xp 20+ times until i got the phone call thingy to call them but i just used winpatcher instead, also i just used the pdx crk for vista, its easier this way

Install 98 on the rig you want to put Vista on, and upgrade it. Put XP on the other rig.

Vista invalidates the serial of the Windows it upgrades over, making it unable to be used on another machine. Better to throw away a 98 key than a XP key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom