Need help with AMD CPU selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cunder

Baseband Member
Okay I tring to build a new gaming computer but I want an AMD CPU. I have problem tring to figure out which CPU I want to get since there are 5 types.

AMD AM2
AMD Athlon2
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Sempron

Which of this cpu's are more fitting to be used for Games? I have read the whole Guild to building a Gaming computer. But it doesn't explain much plus it's a 2005 post and would have changed within the whole 2yrs. Does the verson of the San Diego type CPU still run better? Also any Dual Core CPU are used for gaming now?

What is your budget?

Understand that the AMD Athlon X2's are the Dual-Core chips out for AMD and are the best they currently offer for gaming. But Intel Core 2 Duo chips are the best gaming chips right now but until the price cuts in April they are easy beat in Price/Performance unless you heavely OC a C2D to 3.0ghz which is easily possible.

Don't just limit yourself to AMD if you want the best Gaming chip or have a nice chunk of change. AMD is not king right now, Intel is.

Would a Althlon 64 x2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 be good for gaming?

Would a Althlon 64 x2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+ Socket AM2 be good for gaming?

its a choice and its not bad at all. you could also look at the x2 3600+ as it'll be a little cheaper. do you have a motherboard already? is the only thing your looking for a cpu?

Yea I need a CPU and Motherboard, the trick to it all is I need them to work with a 1 GB Kingston PC3200 184pin DDR ram x2 ( I got 2). Only reason why I have Ram now is because my brother bought the wrong ram and just gave them to me so I can make a new computer out of them.

Plus it would need a PCI-E lol it seems like AGP's are dieing out and getting replaced already lol.

Looking at the AM2 motherboards it seems like it's impossible to find a motherboard with a 184 pin-DIMM =/. Thats very disappointing.

Thats becuase you need DDR2 memory to run any AM2 boards

You can get a Manchester X2 3800 for S939 boards and can use DDR but they are 102 bucks OEM.

I would suggest selling the memory and starting from scratch as ram prices have went down but ebay will still sell that memory FAST

Especially since its kingston

Thats another problem I don't do Ebay, honestly wouldn't consider risking selling and buying stuff from ebay. So i'm pretty screwed /sigh. Well I guess there no good cpu that uses 184 pin dimm? God now I hate my brother for being a moron and me being stupid enough to take them. Should of had him let him deal with it instead of me.

They are KVR400X64C3A 1 Gig PC3200, they are listed as DDR's just different pin numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom