AMD Equivilent to Intel C2D E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to have one right now then go AMD X2 for sure. Just get an X2 3600 and OC it.

An X2 overclocked to around 2.8-3.0ghz is about the equivalent of a C2D clocked at around 2.2.-2.3ghz.

A good overclocking AMD mobo is only about 78 bucks and a good CPU cooler can be had for 25 bucks for an X2. I highly suggest going this route on a tighter budget.

Going on your original question an AMD would need to be around 2.3ghz to be in the same league as a C2D....but like I said if you go AMD then just get the X2 3600 Brisbane, an Arctic Freezer Pro 64, and a Biostar 550 Mobo if you want to overclock.

I suggest you buy an OEM X2 3600, a Biostar Tforce 550, and an aftermarket CPU cooler. All of this together would be around 180 bucks...which is the price of an E6300 alone. You would need an an E6300 and a board that would do mild overclocks to be faster than that set-up and the cheapest overclocking board is around 80 bucks and a 945 chipset, an outdated chipset not made for C2D's. Then without aftermarket cooling the highest you could reach is around say 2.4-2.6 which would be close to the equivalent of the amd at 3.0ghz while being around 90 bucks cheaper. Did I mention you still would be using an old outdated motherboard not made for C2D? While the Biostar Tforce 550 is a very good board for AM2.

This is just my two cents though...

If you have the money and are going to overclock, I would go for the E6300 (or E4300 even which will perform pretty much the same when overclocked and doesn't need very high RAM speeds or FSB and will be only $115 in a couple weeks.) Overclocked to 3.0, it will be quite a bit faster then a 3600+ overclocked to 2.8 and not that much more expensive. If you do want to save money, you cannot go wrong with a 3600+. AMAZING performance for $65.

Also note that when on April 22nd or so, when the E4300 gets cut to $115, the E6300 will receive double the L2 cache and will cost $20 less. Don't really know how much the extra cache actually helps but it's something to consider.

Yea just have to see prices and such.

You do know that the E4300 has been having a very hard time overclocking as there are many FSB walls.

Also note that when on April 22nd or so, when the E4300 gets cut to $115, the E6300 will receive double the L2 cache and will cost $20 less.
Actually, suppliers will get the cut rate on new purchases, but the stock they have will have cost them full price. There is no guarantee that they will pass along the savings right away, or that they will sell the new versions before they are out of the old.

I'm sitting back and waiting to see what AMD comes out with shortly. My current rig does what I want, so I can afford to wait.

Yep it's true...I wouldn't really buy an AMD over the X2 4400 as any higher and it'd just be better to go Intel and overclock your chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom