Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know if this has been asked before but how do you share folders where a person on another computer can access them, The other computers in my house, running xp can see them but when I click on the folders it says that they do not have permission to access. But they can access the "public" folder.

I think vista is just a pre release for something bigger, so ms could get something out there and make some cash before we get the real deal.

Many voucher-waving Microsoft customers in Europe are still awaiting their promised free Windows Vista upgrades from the software giant's "fulfilment partner", ModusLink.

As we reported in February, customers were persuaded to part with their hard-earned cash to buy XP-based computers ahead of the long-awaited release of Vista on 30 January 2007, on the premise that they would be given an "Express Upgrade".

But if the number of posts that continue to appear on forums is anything to go by, then ModusLink - which boasts that it offers "innovative ideas and rapid, efficient execution" - still hasn't got its act together.

A typical post left by one disgruntled customer who bought an XP-based Acer computer from electrical retailer Curry's, reads: "I realise the demand on this upgrade process must be great but surely this must have been expected by Moduslink and their customer Microsoft?

"Not a very good customer experience for me, perhaps I should not have purchased my laptop until they were being sold complete with Vista pre-installed. I guess I was fooled by sales hype that a free upgrade would follow."

In order to be eligible for the upgrade customers needed to have registered at the ModusLink express upgrade website by the end of March.

Click Read More to view the rest of this article.

source.gif
News Source: The Register

Microsoft is denying a report in a Seattle newspaper that it has adopted new language to describe what's needed to successfully boot some of the more advanced parts of its new Windows Vista operating system as a result of a consumer lawsuit.

"Our language has been consistent all along; we haven't changed anything," a Microsoft spokesman said Tuesday.

An explanation of Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" program posted on the company's Web site states: "Some features available in the premium editions of Windows Vista -- like the new Windows Aero user experience -- may require advanced or additional hardware."

Click Read More to view the rest of this article.

source.gif
News Source: Information Week

Microsoft 'wait-and-see' on Vista BIOS hack

Microsoft has no immediate plans to tackle a reported hack to Windows Vista product activation that could allow illegal copies of Windows to be widely installed.
The hack is not yet viewed as a wide-scale threat, although Microsoft indicated it may act if more hackers view breaking Windows Vista's OEM product activation as a challenge worth taking.

Alex Kochis, a Microsoft senior product manager, blogged: "Because Windows Vista can't be pirated as easily as Windows XP, it's possible that the increased pressure will result in more interest in efforts to hack the OEM Activation 2.0 implementation."
Microsoft responded following reports Windows Vista's OEM Activation (OA) 2.0 has been broken. OA uses pre-installed code on the BIOS of an OEM'd PC motherboard to identify the system as pre-installed with a licensed copy of Windows.
The company has so-far identified two approaches to cracking OA 2.0. One involves editing the BIOS on the motherboard to make it appear as if it's from an authorized OEM, and the second uses software to convince Windows Vista it's running on OA 2.0-enabled hardware.
Microsoft last saw product activation hacked when it introduced Windows XP in 2001.
According to Kochis, Microsoft is taking a wait-and-see approach on this latest challenge: "Our goal isn't to stop every 'mad scientist' that's on a mission to hack Windows. Our goal is to disrupt the business model of organized counterfeiters and protect users from becoming unknown victims. This means focusing on responding to hacks that are scalable and can easily be commercialized."

I don't think vista handles memory well because when I booted up it was using about 500mb after startup programs are loaded and I open winamp to listen to music it goes up to about 530mb and after winamp is closed it goes down to only 522mb, so what is using that extra 22mb that winamp originally was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom