Hello
I plan on buying computer parts over the next couple days

The blueprint:

Asus P5N-E
Intel C2D E6300
Artic 5 Thermal Compound

Thermaltake Toughpower 850 w/ modular cables
Thermaltake Tsunami
(Will it be roomy enough? It's reviewed highly, aesthetically pleasing, and seems like a good choice)

XFX 8800 GTS 560 Mhz 320 Mb

Seagate 320 Gb x2 = 640 Gb. Raid 1 (?)
(Storage. Computer will be used for video games, surfing, movies, music, file-sharing, other possibilities are nebulous)

X-Fi Fatality
(I've read of 'crackling' issues, but as far as I know it's the only card with onboard memory)

The P5N-E has optimal latency timings of 4-4-4-12. I will likely overclock in the future. This is my first build. I want 2x 1 Gb to be upgraded to 4x 1 Gb

Possibilities (not exhaustive):
OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 6400 4-4-4-15
Kingston Hyperx 6400 4-4-4-12
Corsair XMS2 6400 Dominator 4-4-4-12

Samsung SH-S183L Lightscribe (Sata connection...??)

I will be shopping locally, at the following stores if anyone has suggestions:

Memory Express Computer Products Inc. - Memory Express
SATA Computer ltd.

I want them to mount the chip/mobo with Artic 5. I will assemble the rest myself. Caveats and instructions are greatly appreciated :)

Any cooling solution suggestions or advice?

I want a good reliable future-friendly computer. Money isn't a cap.

Thanx much
Jeff

the Psu is way way way too big get a Antec true power trio 430W. why are using Raid 1 that is where you hard drives self backup each other I think you mean RAID 0 which is where both drives are used as one. G-skill HZ ram will get you great over clocking times (they're the black ones just to make it easier to find them). Sata is a thinner wire allowing better airflow but IDE will work fine but it is up to you. If your American use Newegg and if your UK use overclockers.co.uk or scan.com cheapest prices

Matt

Do the whole thing your self. :) Mounting the motherboard can be a bit tricky but its possible to push it in place and put a screw in. Once the mobo is in it is plain sailing of putting GPU and drives in.

There is no need for a SATA DVD drive. Waste of a SATA port IMO. It will work though.

I don't think 430 watts is good enough for that video card saltynay. You should at least get 550 watt psu for that setup. Also sata optical drives are very nice. Don't cost more money and you don't have to use a huge ide cord. provides better air flow and just looks better.

I would use the first hard drive for the os installation and such. And the second for storing music, movies, iso's and such. You could even partition the first hd

The Antec true power trio is a power house look at my set-up abit more powerful then his and that runs fine with a 420W with a truepower duo the trio has tons of amps on the 12v rails higher efficiency it also depends on when he is going to upgrade again as short term components will need more and more power whilst long term they should become more energy efficient and need less power.

Matt

everything there looks great!
unless you are really 'into' sound then you dont need a sound card, i dont like XFX myself, i recommend leadtek, EVGA or BFG they are not the only good ones but they are decent and at a nice price.
if you wish to use all 640GB of those two drives, but cannot afford to buy another one then RAID 0 is what you need. im slightly confused as to why you want 4GB RAM though

if you live in UK i also recommend Overclockers.co.uk. komplett.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk and microdirect.co.uk are all pretty good Scan.co.uk have fallen out of my favourites.

I don't know about a lot of people, but I was highly disappointed with my first ASUS motherboard purchase:

ASUS P5NSLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Mobo

sound came broken and if you ever went to the asus support forums, I don't even think they are moderated

This however is my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom