Dual Boot XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey mak, I'm making 3 OS that you have to go to the bios to set that hard drive first. I got both media center working correctly (I'd installed them seperately with the other hdds unhooked), but I already got vista installed but the boot.ini is on my 1st hdd. how do I get the vista boot.ini onto the vista drive without running a repair?

I'm doing this because I get tired of looking at the hijack vista screen when I turn on the computer

From within XP go to Start>Run>msconfig. Go to the boot.ini tab and write down the info there.

Google for EasyBCD. From there Add the Vista bootloader. Edit it to include the info from the XP you jsut installed.

Restart and teh Vista bootloader should show both Vista and XP and you should be able to boot into either easily.

Sorry to hijack the thread; I recently had to reinstall XP (and have vista on another partition). I can't access vista now and I have not ran any repair tools. I tried to follow this method but there is not boot.ini tab.
msconfig.png

Edit: I found the boot.ini file in XP will try now to follow the steps and will post back with results.

Ok, I ran easybcd, it seems like i'm not doing something right.

Here are the messages I get. At the end when it says to restart easybdc wnen i do I get the exact same thing (first pic, then second, then third)

1.png

2.png

3.png

Sorry to hijack the thread; I recently had to reinstall XP (and have vista on another partition). I can't access vista now and I have not ran any repair tools. I tried to follow this method but there is not boot.ini tab.

Just something I read earlier in this thread.... Don't know if it will help you or not.

you can't manually edit vista boot.ini. you can xp.
you said that you already ran the repair from vista

your boot.ini should be something like this

;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom