Test to see if new power supply bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
somebody knows what im talking about, not like the other replies
Thanks for yet another helpful and informative response.

So it is true, you need to put a load on the psu to make it work? I was just plugging it in and trying to run some case fans off it. So that's why nothing is happening.
You can plug as much stuff into your PSU as you want, but if you don't plug it into your mobo it's not gonna turn on. If you want to make it turn on without the motherboard you can do like what CrazeD was showing us, but be warned that it may be bad for the power supply to run it without enough load on it. If you decide to do this to make sure it works I wouldn't recommend leaving it on for very long. Some people say it won't hurt it, but I say better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info. I shorted the green to black, and walah! I was able to run a case fan off the psu.

Now I have the confidence to spend the big bucks on the mobo, cpu, and memory. And one less thing to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Thanks for yet another helpful and informative response.

You can plug as much stuff into your PSU as you want, but if you don't plug it into your mobo it's not gonna turn on. If you want to make it turn on without the motherboard you can do like what CrazeD was showing us, but be warned that it may be bad for the power supply to run it without enough load on it. If you decide to do this to make sure it works I wouldn't recommend leaving it on for very long. Some people say it won't hurt it, but I say better safe than sorry.

and yet another false comment that darsunt didnt listen too

Thanks for the info. I shorted the green to black, and walah! I was able to run a case fan off the psu.

Now I have the confidence to spend the big bucks on the mobo, cpu, and memory. And one less thing to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

now that we have established the PSU turns on, test each individual voltage to make sure it is fine to use on your new mobo

and yet another false comment that darsunt didnt listen too
Please tell me how that was a "false comment."

And I truly don't care if someone doesn't take my advice and damages their hardware as a result. I was only offering some words of caution to a novice, ignore them if you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom