XP or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RisingFalls

In Runtime
Well right after I had reformatted my hard drive for the second time to get rid of persistent viruses, my cousin downloaded another one for me.
I'm using windows XP home edition, with SP2, and the viruses find their way in anyway.

Which makes me think, should I just upgrade to Vista? I heard it's a great deal more secure, even without their service packs (yet).

I'm weighing the benefits against the losses by upgrading to Vista. I was planning on Microsoft to work out all the little problems in Vista and lower the price, along with Intel's C2D's price to build my own, but I can't keep losing hard drive space by reformatting every two days, I have to make a choice, soon.

So, what would you stick with?

XP is secure if you do things correctly.
Have windows updated.
Use Updated Firefox or Opera
Keep AV Up to date
Use router or firewall
Use Anti spyware programs such as spywareblaster, spybot search & Destroy, adware SE Personnel.

Don't Download things that are small in size. Have AV Set to scan all downloads and emails.

Well, you could always dual boot. This would require you to make a separate partition, then install Vista on that partition. This is what i did, and when something isn't compatible with Vista, it will be with XP so you don't have to worry about that.

Also, you could try to find a different Anti-Virus program and see if it has Auto-Protect features on it... Meaning that when your cousin d/l's something it doesn't let it run b/c it has a virus attached to it (Just something for you to think about).

Personally, I would dual boot to make sure Vista is what you want. Then, you can remove XP if you are satisfied with Vista.

It sounds like you need a virus software more than an OS. You can get one for very little money from any computer store near you. Hunt for rebate deals - you can find a really good one.

Stay with XP and save your money (at least for the time being). It also depends on how old and upgradeable your computer is. If your computer is 2 and more years old, then i would only upgrade to Vista by buying or building a new computer.

Good Luck :happy:

XP is MUCH better still as it uses less resources and the drivers for everything is much better. Install Vista if you have to on another Partition or HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom