Want to upgrade to Quad Core from my E6400, how much difference will it make for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
Whats going on guys.

My specs are in my sig, so basically all I should say is that I am OC'd to 3.2 GHZ stable.

Obviously the Quad Core processor prices are going to be coming down soon (to around $300 I heard). If this is correct, I would like to purchase one. What I would like to know, considering there is not alot of use for 4 Core Technology (not yet, anyways), will I notice much of a difference in performance? For example, will I notice a majore FPS increase in my processor-limited games (like Flight Simulator X for example), or is too early for apps and games to take advantage of quad core technology? Another reason i am wanting a faster processor is in alot of my games, I still notice frame rate slowdown (especially FSX), but even older games like NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (granted, I am running 1680x1050, Max graphics, 8x AA, etc) but still, I would consider my system on the higher end of the spectrum, and Im still getting FPS slowdown!?!?!!?

Anyways, will the Quad core help? Plus I am coupling it with another 2x GB of Ram so I can get Vista......so basically a Quad Core and another 2x Ram upgrade...

Thanks for the help guys
Joe

No, we can barley use Dual-core. Your E6400 at 3.2ghz would be faster than a stock Quad Core.

In gaming dual-core is all thats worth it.

it''s just stupid to get a Quad-Core right now and in NO WAY will it help you.

Why am I still getting FPS slow down? Even in NASCAR racing 2003, which is 4 years old now, It still drops to around 25fps under alot of stress. What do I need to upgrade to make my games run smoother?!?! Especially Flight Simulator X

Dude,
I think theres some virus/malware in your comp. Just reformat your HD. I suppose it will work fine. If that doesn't work out then maybe theres problem with your hardware. Its most likely that theres some virus/malware in your PC.

yeah i think its most likely the big-ish screen thats slowing things down abit, have you tried knocking down the resolution on the in-game settings to see if fps improve abit?

hmmm. do you guys think that running at 1680 x 1050 should slow his card down that much?
i hope not, as i am thinking of getting one relatively soon with a new 22"monitor.
i would think that running the AA and AF at max would probably be more the problem than resolution....those settings maxed (especially AA) tax the crap out of any card.
O.P. try setting AA at least to like 4x or even 2x and see if you notice an increase in FPS vs image quality.

I don't think it's any of his hardware. I also believe there is malware or something becuase the 8800GTS 320 should not be slowed even at that res that much.

Re: Want to upgrade to Quad Core from my E6400, how much difference will it make for

I have a 8800GTS 640MB, not 320MB. Also, I doubt if its any malicious adware. I just built the PC 2 months ago, have only been connected to DSL for a month

Re: Want to upgrade to Quad Core from my E6400, how much difference will it make for

i agree, theres probably nothing wrong with that pc hardware wise. its gotta be something else. i don't think any c2d at 3.2ghz should bottleneck a 8800gts 640mb..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom