Upgrading a S478 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
Currently, I have a P4 clocked @ 1.6GHz on S478 motherboard, a P4B-LA

Thing is, I'd like to buy this for extremely cheap and have it just installed with my current motherboard, replacing my old CPU. Will this motherboard support the new P4? Will my two sticks of RAM (PC100 & PC133) still be supported? What problems might I run into?

And also, can I just slip the CPU in there without having to format my hard drive and re-install windows and all?

I have a 200-watt PSU btw (running with a 9600XT and an 80gig HDD @ 5400RPM)

I don't see why not! your MB supports 478 pin and the CPU is 478 pin. The FSB should not matter - your MB is 400FSB and this is the max speed your will have. As far as memory goes - memory comtability goes with your MB and not CPU.

If any one things i'm wrong, please correct me. I don't want to give teh_omar wrong info :confused:

I don't see why not! your MB supports 478 pin and the CPU is 478 pin. The FSB should not matter - your MB is 400FSB and this is the max speed your will have. As far as memory goes - memory comtability goes with your MB and not CPU.

If any one things i'm wrong, please correct me. I don't want to give teh_omar wrong info :confused:

what will the 400 FSB limitation do exactly to the new CPU? won't that cut the overall core clock speed in half from 2.4GHz to 1.2GHz? :confused: :confused:

what will the 400 FSB limitation do exactly to the new CPU? won't that cut the overall core clock speed in half from 2.4GHz to 1.2GHz? :confused: :confused:

I wouldn't say that. The speed of your process will stay the same. FSB is like a higway, 400FSB is 2 lanes higway and 800FSB is like 4 lanes higway, so your processer waits on information to get to it so with 800FSB more information gets to it faster - thus faster processing and performance.

Does it make sense?

I wouldn't say that. The speed of your process will stay the same. FSB is like a higway, 400FSB is 2 lanes higway and 800FSB is like 4 lanes higway, so your processer waits on information to get to it so with 800FSB more information gets to it faster - thus faster processing and performance.

Does it make sense?

ok, well taking that into consideration, would I see a significant increase in speed if I upgraded to this CPU? that's the most important question really.

oh and I found this by the way:
Anyone ever heard of a ASUSTek P4B-LA? - Overclockers Forums

another thing I need to mention, this is a proprietary motherboard made for HP, do you think they added some type of mechanism that would lock the core speed at 1.6GHz? The link I just sent seems to hint that.

You will get a better performance out of the 2.4 ghz but unfortunatly i'm not sure about HP locking the core speed at 1.6GHZ.

There is another easier way to boost performace and that is by adding more RAM. How much ram do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom