Help Please! PC won't boot up after BIOS upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

In Runtime
I have a PC (my main PC) that I updated the BIOS on and now it will NOT boot up.

When it tries to boot up, it will get to the Windows XP flash screen (with the scrolling line), then flash the "blue screen of death" and then revert back to the DOS based reboot screen (the one the gives choices of Safe Mode etc...).

I've tried rebooting chosing the option "Last known Configuration that worked", and that does NOT work. The system just reverts back to the rebooting sequence.

The PC's MB is a MSI-7061 and running XP Pro.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA!

ERIC

Hello,

Well it doesn't seem as though the BIOS is corrupt since it successfully passes control over to the OS. What error message do you get in the BSOD?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for a minute or so / moving the reset jumper on the motherboard?

Have you checked to see that all the settings in the BIOS are correct?

Hello,

Well it doesn't seem as though the BIOS is corrupt since it successfully passes control over to the OS. What error message do you get in the BSOD?

Hmm... interesting.... Come to think of it, I DID have a SCANDISC scheduled on the next reboot. The SCANDISC did NOT run BTW.

I just happened to "try" to update the MB's BIOS before I did a reboot.

Could this be an issue ?

The BSOD literally flashed for like a 1/10 of second, so I was NOT able to read it.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard for a minute or so / moving the reset jumper on the motherboard?

Have you checked to see that all the settings in the BIOS are correct?

Not yet. I'm researching possible issues on my wife's PC.

Thank you!

ERIC

Try clearing the CMOS (see mobo manual for instructions). If that doesn't work then try to flash the BIOS again. Please post system specs so we can better help you.

try booting in safe mode and then schedule a check disk on your HD, if not use ur XP cd and select repair

try booting in safe mode and then schedule a check disk on your HD, if not use ur XP cd and select repair

If its not a hardware problem, this is exactly what your problem will be. Sounds like you eather have some driver issues which the OS repair will take care of or some sector issues on your hard drive that the chkdsk /r will fix right up.

When you boot to the windows CD, there are two repairs you can do. The first one that comes up, when you press R it sends you to a prompt were then you type in the chkdsk /r. If that doesn't work for you, restart the PC and boot back up to the windows CD and instead of hitting R, hit Enter, F8 for the aggreement and it should pick up your OS and ask if you want to repair. This does look like a reload but it is NOT. You will not loose anything during this process. The worst thing that could happen with this repair is you may have to reactivate windows.

Try clearing the CMOS (see mobo manual for instructions). If that doesn't work then try to flash the BIOS again. Please post system specs so we can better help you.

OK, I've tried resetting the BIOS settings to the Default settings (via the BIOS screen) and still NO boot up.

I'm going to try clearing the CMOS by removing the MB's battery next.

Here's the system specs....

=================================================

MSI MS-7061 KM4M-V, KM400 Chipset, AMD XP2200+ CPU, 1GB PC2700 DDR Ram, nVIDIA GeForce 6200 128MB 400Mhz, (2) 80GB Maxtor & (1) 40GB WD HDs, O/S XP Pro.
=================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom