ATI video card trouble, big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
use your onboard vga, get rid of the drivers completely for all cards. including the onboard one.
reboot into safe mode with the rage 128 and install the new drivers

It wont let me uninstall the drivers though, im using the motherboard's vga one right now. Whenever I go to uninstall the drivers I get an error message saying that I cant uninstall them because the hardware that uses them isnt connected, but when it is connected I cant see anything.

Seriously? I'd prefer NOT to, but whatever.

Could I go through and manualy delete the drivers created by the download?

I'm confused by these directions:
--------------------------------------------
Usage for XP / XP SP1 / XPSP2
--------------------------------------------
ATI:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device mgr->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers and control panel

It tells me to remove the ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs. I cant uninstall the drivers from there, i've tried.

dont worry about unistalling the drivers first. Just have it clean the drivers you have, no need to unistall thenmit erases them. Just click all the ati products you have in the drop down box and hit clean after every ati product in the box . Reboot and instlall the omega drivers and dont do it from safe mode!

I downloaded the CAB file, and sorry if I sound like a newbie, because I am, what do I do with it?

Also, I put the card in after uninstall the ATI drivers, yet XP hasnt recognized it. It knows it is there, but I get this:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

So... whats that mean? Once again, probably an easy fix, but im not sure what to do.

put the card in and install the driver's thats all you should have to do. If you have to put the cab file in your system 32 folder under windows you will have to make hidden files show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom